Question GIGABYTE A320M refuses to boot with both RAM slots

Oct 9, 2020
Context : So I had been awaiting my parts for quite some time, and they arrived this Thursday, the PSU only had one 4 pin ATX 12v, so I waited until today when I got a new PSU so I could plug it in, even though it wasn't needed, but aside from that, when the build was complete, my dad powered it on, and no post, we had no idea modern motherboards did not have buzzers but aside from that, we discovered that it only boots when the RAM is in the first DIMM slot, and so right now I'm using 4GB of my Patriot Viper Elite RAM.

Specs :

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 (GIGABYTE)
PSU - Corsair CV450
RAM - Patriot Viper Elite 4GB 2666MHz (one in use in the first DIMM slot, obviously)
Motherboard - GIGABYTE A320M-S2H

Note : I already tried loosening the screws on the CPU fan but that didn't work, and yes, my drivers have been installed but this has made no change, even with XMP and changing the DRAM voltages, frequency and such.

Update : No avail when it comes to seeing if there is anything stuck in the RAM slot, haven't tried a CMOS reset though, I'd do a CMOS reset but I hate doing CMOS resets because they're so tedious.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020
Bump

Also my dad took a look at the RAM slot and found no physical issues, so anything that is stuck in the RAM slot is out of the question, as goes for any of the RAM sticks being dysfunctional, and software based stuff is also out of the question, but regarding the fan it's not entirely out of the question, as I'm not sure if my dad really did enough loosening of screws to be honest, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Oct 9, 2020
Update : So we decided to try doing the CMOS thing and all that, but to no avail.
We're gonna see if my motherboard came with a warranty, and if it did, we'll send it to the GIGABYTE store nearby and see if they can find out why the RAM slot won't work and see if it can be fixed as well.

And if they come back telling us that the fan screws were tightened too much I'm going to beat my dad to a pulp.

Anyways, any mods seeing this thread, lock it, thanks!

Oct 9, 2020
I have decided to come back to this thread, because I'm getting tired not being able to take full effect of my new build.

So, let me re-clarify :

The Specs :
CPU : AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
GPU : Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 (However it's a GIGABYTE variant)
Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H CF (I'm not sure what CF means, and I'm not sure which revision it is, and CPU-Z reports that the revision is "x.x"
RAM : (I will clarify that both work, the issue is not the RAM sticks, the issue is the RAM slots) Patriot Viper Elite 4GBx2 2666MHz DDR4 (Part Number is PVE48G266C6KGY)

There are some things I have noticed :

Task Manager reports that I have 4 DIMM slots and reports that 1 out of 4 of them are being used, even though in reality, the motherboard has 2 slots, my theory is that from what I learned on Dual Channel and Quad Channel Memory stuff, placing 2 Memory Sticks right next to each other is a no-no, and that the Memory Sticks should be placed in parallel, perhaps the PC is interpreting the system as one with 4 Slots, and thus thinks that because DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 are both being used, it might think that the RAM sticks are placed wrong and will thus not boot unless the sticks become parallel, which, unfortunately for this digital beings dillusions, is not the case, so making the PC realise that there are only 2 slots might fix the problem, who knows.

Aside from that, Driver Updates have shown no avail, although I haven't tested since I did the BIOS update, I recently did a bunch of Driver Updates to the Chipset, the Lan stuff and some other stuff, but have not tested if those would solve the problem,

As I stated above, the trick where you loosen the screws on the CPU fan doesn't work, guess it's exclusive to those with those Z390 boards or whatever they're called,

CMOS resets worked to no avail,

Note, we still haven't sent the board to GIGABYTE because I haven't checked if it came with a free warranty yet,

At the moment I'm currently in contact with GIGABYTE e-Support to solve the issue, but I want to check all help I can to see what each person has to offer,

And yes, the memory slots are locked in place when I place them in,

We have also tried inspecting the RAM slots for any damage or anything that might block the slot like, say, dust or something, to no avail, the board is very new,

I will say that the deliveryman took his fat time with the thing,

Aside from that, any help is appreciated :)

Oct 9, 2020
Update :
Still no avail, I have tested everything with the new drivers I recently installed, I have also tried running at different voltages to see if anything works, alas, no avail, and I screwed around with Above 4G Decoding and found out that just because it solves VRAM, doesn't mean it solves DRAM, I have not yet checked under the CPU to see if maybe a bit of lint got stuck in there, or to see if the pins got bent, I did notice that I can deduce whether my machine will boot if a light on the I/O turns on, so that's cool I guess,
I should also mention that my Motherboard did not come with an onboard speaker, to my dismay, when I was building my PC, my girlfriend told me that modern motherboards don't have onboard speakers, we had an argument about it for like half an hour only for her to come out on top (as she always does, wink wink), anyways, I will never forgive Motherboard manufacturers for ending the long tradition of having the onboard speaker come with the motherboard, aside from that, I should probably get a motherboard speaker soon to see what Post codes I get, if I get any, that is...

Options remain :
-Check if pins on CPU are bent
-Check if anything is blocking the CPU pins
-Warranty stuff
-Ask GIGABYTE themselves (in the process of doing so)