Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3 motherboard (SMBIOS 3.0) keeps refusing to power on after shutdown.

katsushige724

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
To start, I made a new PC build in anticipation of a new release, and also because my previous msi Krait motherboard blew a capacitor for reasons unknown.

I had heard mostly good things about Gigabyte's motherboards and settled on the model mentioned in the topic after doing some research, as I was upgrading to an AMD Ryzen 5 1600.

I was able to get the thing running without a hitch, and it had no real issues until after about two months, when one day, the PC simply refused to power on after I had shut it down the previous night. I opened it up and took a look inside to see if any lights or noises were going off when I pressed the power button, but nope, the thing was acting like it wasn't getting any power at all.

I proceeded to do the paper clip test on the power supply, but it worked fine, so I concluded that wasn't the issue.

I made sure all of the plugs were inserted properly, and I tried to power it on without any unnecessary components attached, so I had no idea what the problem could be. I eventually saw someone suggesting that I try resetting the BIOS by removing the battery from the motherboard for a hour, then putting back in, which finally did the trick. The PC was running like nothing had ever gone wrong to begin with.

Things were going smoothly up until a little over a week ago (The last problem had occurred back in late August), when I ran into the same issue yet again. I assumed the same trick would fix it again, and it did...except now it happened yet again this morning, which seems to suggest that whatever issue is causing is getting worse for it to have occurred this soon again after the first incident.

I'm feeling like this has something to do with the BIOS settings if anything, since I haven't fiddled with those at all and have been running at the stock settings with no overlocking features enabled and I'm using Windows 10 currently. I've also been diligent about monitoring the heat/voltage levels to make sure nothing has been going wrong in that regard.

The only other quirk I noticed was that on one instance when the PC attempted to automatically put itself into sleep mode due to inactivity, it never actually powered down and was just stuck on a black screen with the lights on, forcing me to power it down by holding the button in.

EDIT: Apparently, this series of motherboards just has a known soft brick issue, so if this problem continues to recur, I guess it's a time for a replacement.

Solution

Yes, Gigabyte does seem to have a softbrick issue with their am4 boards. I had an AB350M Gaming 3 that would soft brick.

I noted that the frequency of the bricks reduced drastically as they updated BIOS so be sure to keep the BIOS updated. I also felt it was related to use of hardware monitoring utilities...specifically HWInfo64. Make sure you're using the latest version of HWInfo, if you are using it at all, because at some point there was a fix for an issue with Gigabyte's AM4 motherboards.

But it stands to reason that if HWInfo could bring on the softbrick...

Yes, Gigabyte does seem to have a softbrick issue with their am4 boards. I had an AB350M Gaming 3 that would soft brick.

I noted that the frequency of the bricks reduced drastically as they updated BIOS so be sure to keep the BIOS updated. I also felt it was related to use of hardware monitoring utilities...specifically HWInfo64. Make sure you're using the latest version of HWInfo, if you are using it at all, because at some point there was a fix for an issue with Gigabyte's AM4 motherboards.

But it stands to reason that if HWInfo could bring on the softbrick then some other utility or software could too.

Solution