Gigabyte Aero 15 X9 Gaming Laptop Review: RTX Works, AI Bores

Jan 29, 2019
"With an Intel Core i9-8950HK CPU, 32 GB of RAM and a 1 TB Intel M.2 PCIe SSD, our configuration of the Aero 15 X9 is a strong productivity machine. You'll have no issue with web browsing or even some basic video or photo editing."

I'm not sure what you think video and photo editing requires, but you can do much more than basic work with this laptop's specs. Additionally, in the battery life tests if you tested last years model with an FHD screen instead of 4K then that would be the biggest difference in battery life. A new processor and GPU are not going to drop battery life by half, a 4K screen will.

Jan 29, 2019
Please clarify the battery life ...You're saying the 2070 MQ / 144hz 1080P HAS HALF the battery life of the 1070 MQ / 144HZ 1080P?

Jan 29, 2019
"The Aero 15 is sleek, plastic and black. This is a black slab of plastic with Gigabyte’s name on the lid in white."
I think this statement is highly inaccurate.
The original Aero 15, as well as the Aero 15x, are made of aluminum. The only plastic is the outter perimeter trim of the base portion, and the cover piece (where the camera is) on the lower inside portion of the screen.
The rest of the chassis is aluminum.

If Gigabyte indeed has changed to plastic from the metal chassis of the previous Aero 15's, you need to clarify that in your review.

Jan 29, 2019
Please repeat the performance with dual channel. This is 2019. Toms Hardware should know better to at least mention it in it's review.

I really like the design of this thing and how light and compact it is
BUT 63fps at 1080p in GTAV?? or am I reading the gaming bench results wrong??
if its correct then its about as good or bad as a pc I had almost 4yrs ago running i5 4430 8gb ddr3 and gtx 970

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

There was an error in the review, which has been fixed. A correction has been appended. The machine is aluminum.

Oddly enough... I think this a bit odd.... 4K 41Hz refresh is acceptable and good, while the same refresh at 1080p makes it poor to unplayable. Either 41hz refresh is good or it isn't... changing the standard at which we say is good and quite playable just for a change in resolution doesn't encourage improvements in refresh rates. (This applies to the desktop in addition to the mobile platform.)

inmyrav

Reputable
May 8, 2015
MSAA really kills the frame rates in GTA V. I suspect that they are using it and maybe some other advanced graphics which is why the frame rates are so low. Kind of silly I don't use MSAA on a laptop, or even on my 24" 144 hz at home, because frame rate hits simply aren't worth it. I don't understand why they measure games that are slowed so much by AA using AA, I think most people prefer fast frames over AA.

Jun 29, 2018
I dont understand why 15 inch gaming notebooks need 4K resolution ? it is like shooting yourself in the feet.

First , FHD will run higher frame rates , and second you wont see the difference in 15 inch size , and last , battery life is 30% more on FHD than 4K.

Just make good fast FHD monitors for 15 inch gaming notebooks.

Apr 30, 2019
"With an Intel Core i9-8950HK CPU, 32 GB of RAM and a 1 TB Intel M.2 PCIe SSD, our configuration of the Aero 15 X9 is a strong productivity machine. You'll have no issue with web browsing or even some basic video or photo editing."

I'm not sure what you think video and photo editing requires, but you can do much more than basic work with this laptop's specs. Additionally, in the battery life tests if you tested last years model with an FHD screen instead of 4K then that would be the biggest difference in battery life. A new processor and GPU are not going to drop battery life by half, a 4K screen will.
I just by one of these awesome laptop
Upgrade ssd to 2tb.. not using raid because if one data gone thab the other will be affacted. I prefer security thab speed.

Secondly i upgrade the ram from 16 gb to 32 gb dual channel.. using corsair vengeance 2666mhz.. at first the screen gone blank.. than i try to take out the batteries .. and swap the ram module.. and voila its good to go

After booting it.. it feel.pretty slow at first even my ssd has read 3500mb/s and write 3000mb/s. So windows update.. than install newest driver for graphic card. And its good to go

Just some advice.. make sure to put thermal pad to the ssd.. cause it runs hot... and if i used it for a long time.. its going hot too

With 50% of brightness and moderate use i got 4 until 6 hours.. mostly 4...full of games and big data analysis.. it runs like a champ

Apr 30, 2019
Bought console and notebook so i can play devil may cry 5 highest setting for a long time.. feel satisfied with these notebook... devil may cry the reason by every gaming rig i got... gta and others follow behind