Gigabyte AMI BIOS 5 Short Beeps but no issue with booting

Sep 23, 2018
Hello,

So I recently moved my PC to my brothers house, when transporting I used the packaging it arrive in to prevent any movement etc. now the PC is making five short beeps on boot then proceeds to load into windows. I have tried re-seating the CPU, checking ram sticks, checked GPU and ensured that all connections are in and not lose. HDD and SSD are all working fine as well.

Bit odd that its beeping but still booting.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue maybe?

Gigabyte Z370 HD3
I7 8700
Gtx 1080

Solution
Normally I would say to pull the CPU cooler and remove the CPU. Using a magnifying glass or high powered reading glasses, check the motherboard socket pins to make sure none of them are bent or look "off" from the rest of them. In most cases, on this bios manufacturer, five beeps means a CPU issue and is often due to a bent pin. Since your system boots however, that's probably NOT the case unless you've recently had the CPU out and back into it's socket.

You might however remove the CPU cooler and reinstall it. It's possible that during transport the weight of the cooler may have shifted it's equal tension around the socket and pressing harder in one corner or side than another. Especially if you have a tower cooler rather than a stock...
Realtime clock error. Try a new CMOS battery. Also, make sure that your CPU clock speeds and memory configuration are as expected in windows.

Sometimes when there is a problem the bios will make changes to fix an issue that it is seeing, so you'll hear the beeps but it will fix it and continue to boot anyhow. Sometimes that "fix" might be degrading your memory configuration to the default 2133mhz instead of whatever it's supposed to run at or reducing your CPU from it's 4.5 OC to something below the base clock.

Sep 23, 2018
Thank you for the answers. I forgot to mention I have replaced the CMOS battery with a new one and still having the same issue. All my brother did was clear the data from the pc, using the windows reset feature. It didn't reinstall windows just removed all user data. Do you think something as simple as a clean install may fix the issue? The memory was running at 2133mhz after resetting the CMOS but we still got the beeps so I tried enabling XMP so that the memory went to its 3000MHZ frequency instead. Still beeping.

Sep 23, 2018

The time is showing correctly in both the bios and in windows. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Sep 23, 2018

American Megatrends.

Thanks

Normally I would say to pull the CPU cooler and remove the CPU. Using a magnifying glass or high powered reading glasses, check the motherboard socket pins to make sure none of them are bent or look "off" from the rest of them. In most cases, on this bios manufacturer, five beeps means a CPU issue and is often due to a bent pin. Since your system boots however, that's probably NOT the case unless you've recently had the CPU out and back into it's socket.

You might however remove the CPU cooler and reinstall it. It's possible that during transport the weight of the cooler may have shifted it's equal tension around the socket and pressing harder in one corner or side than another. Especially if you have a tower cooler rather than a stock or top down style cooler.

If there are expansion cards, such as those which are installed in PCI slots, those too can trigger problems with 5 beeps on AMI boards. I'd pull any expansion card, clean the gold "teeth" with isopropyl alcohol or a clean pencil eraser, and reinstall it. That includes the graphics card.

Beyond that, I can only guess that maybe the stress of transport may have micro-fractured one of the motherboard traces going to the CPU socket or elsewhere on the board, enough to trigger a code but not enough to affect it running. That is improbable, but short of finding something with these other paths I'm at a loss as to what would trigger a five beep code on an AMI board, and still boot normally.

Might also try removing the CMOS battery for five minutes, press the power button for about thirty seconds while it's out (With power disconnected to the PSU of course), then put it all back, go into bios, default settings, save, restart, see if it still beeps.

Make sure the clear CMOS jumper is not on the board in the clear position as well.

Solution