Gigabyte Announces Quad-Core J1900-Based Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocilfa

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
@Shawna: This soc gets a score of about 2000 on passmark, while a 2.4ghz core 2 quad gets 2970. Not too bad considering it only uses 10w at most.

runswindows95

Distinguished
@Shawna: This soc gets a score of about 2000 on passmark, while a 2.4ghz core 2 quad gets 2970. Not too bad considering it only uses 10w at most.
These motherboards keep intriguing me. I'm happy with my 2Ghz Core2Duo laptop for the longest time, and if these CPU's are just as good, I can build a low power desktop for cheap.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
How would this compare to an Intel Core 2 Quad at the same clocks?
At the same clocks, this
As respectable as its performance/power consumption is, this will be significantly slower in virtually everything when compared to a C2Q at the same clockspeed.

buhow

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
"Unfortunately, we didn’t have an iPad Mini Retina on hand to test to do a direct performance comparison to an equivalent iOS device."Then, how can you have the audacity to title this fluff piece with something including "iPad Mini Retina Killer"???I was going into this article with the expectation of a reasonable comparison, but credibility was completely lost at this point for me, since there is definitely no difficulty in obtaining an iPad Mini, even for a lowly tech journalist who presumably has the dedicated time, reason, and budget for just such a purchase. I had to double check the date of the article to make sure it wasn't written in 2012 or something... nope. Weak, extremely weak.

bmdc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I dont know, but even being able to put an R7 250 in there or something would be nice.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

I'm not interested in gaming prowess from a 10W integrated CPU, I think that kind of graphic power is even overkill for what it is. It's just curiosity about an office PC replacement. I have an E2200, E6320 and a Sempron "whatever" which needs to be refreshed and they all got IDE HDD, so I have already thought of all the rest of the pieces. I just wanted to know how much better they are, inexpensive and low power consumption, my workload is really really light. Most of the softwares used are barely dual core capable and all machines running XP 32 bit. Power consumption is really important since all machines are working 100h per week.
I think this is going to fit even in the automotive market where Via had their terrible 1GHz almost single cores.

bmdc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I feel like this thing would struggle with even playing back HD video. Sure it might be fine for a cheap little office computer, but if i purchased something like this, it'd be for a media computer to connect to my TV.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
People, this will have zero problems with HD playback... None whatsoever. Intel HD graphics after hd2000 can play HD without breaking a sweat. You wouldn't even need a dedicated card.

Damon Palovaara

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Perfect for a DIY router using PFSense. It already has the two required Ethernet ports, gigabit speed at that. I would prefer Sata3 but Sata2 will still work for a nice 60GB SSD for website caching. Hook it up with 4 or 8GBs of RAM and you have an insane router for your house good enough for an enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.