Gigabyte Announces the GA-Z87X-OC Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

fusionlance

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]rmpumper[/nom]64 GB of RAM? There are no 16GB sticks on sale.[/citation]
Before you know it we'll be counting RAM in TB. My 1st PC in 1999 was only 64MB!!

[citation][nom]fusionlance[/nom]Before you know it we'll be counting RAM in TB. My 1st PC in 1999 was only 64MB!![/citation]
My first PC had 4MB and at that time I thought that was alot! Infact at that time we were still trying to fit every thing in the first 640k ram. I still remember my Autoexe and Config files I had to setup because each game back then needed different things in order to run. Boy those were the days one game needed cd-rom drivers the next would not run with them.

dingo07

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bryonhowley[/nom]My first PC had 4MB and at that time I thought that was alot! Infact at that time we were still trying to fit every thing in the first 640k ram. I still remember my Autoexe and Config files I had to setup because each game back then needed different things in order to run. Boy those were the days one game needed cd-rom drivers the next would not run with them.[/citation]
I remember paying about $100 for 2 MB or RAM for my 386 back in the day when I was playing Falcon 3.0 - yes those were the days!

This looks like a nice board - can't wait to build a LGA1150 system

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Rings a bell??

DEVICE=C:\windows\HIMEM.SYS /testmem:eek:ff
DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=z
COUNTRY=049,850,C:\windows\COMMAND\country.sys
SHELL=c:\4dos\4dos.com c:\4dos /p /e:1024
DEVICE=C:\windows\EMM386.EXE noems d=64 x=a000-c7ff i=c800-f7ff x=f800-ffff
rem DEVICE=C:\windows\EMM386.EXE 28000 ram d=64 x=a000-c7ff frame=c800 i=d000-f7ff x=f800-ffff
DEVICEHIGH=c:\utils\TEAC_CDI.SYS /D:TEAC
DEVICEHIGH=C:\utils\eansi.sys

[citation][nom]rmpumper[/nom]64 GB of RAM? There are no 16GB sticks on sale.[/citation]

There are, but they're not common for consumers (servers have 16GB and 32GB modules, maybe even 64GB). They will be more common when we have good use for them and they are more affordable.

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]what happened to the 32 phase power design?[/citation]

Much of the VRM is going to be integrated into the CPU die, so the motherboard has no need for big VRM configurations because the CPU handles it. The motherboard's VRM will only be for stuff such as the memory, chipset, and maybe the IGP and/or a few other small things.

[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Wth this many PCIe slots, why not throw in a PCI slot or two for good measure? A lot of people still use them and they probably don't impact the board's price much.[/citation]

that, and any good mobo-maker will put PCI slots right below the 2nd and 3rd PCIe slots like here. so if you're the gaming enthusiast with a tri-SLI/xfire set up, you'll be covering up those PCI slots that you don't want anyway :p

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I wonder when DDR4 SDRAM will hit the market? I guess maybe whatever succeeds Intel's Haswell generation or perhaps AMD's Steamroller. I don't know the time frame for the rollout of those products though.

G

[citation][nom]iybguyb[/nom]Do we still need PCI slots?[/citation]
With my Asus Xonar Essence ST Audio card, i do need a PCI slot (Most high end audio cards still use PCI).

Nebby

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]I wonder when DDR4 SDRAM will hit the market? I guess maybe whatever succeeds Intel's Haswell generation or perhaps AMD's Steamroller. I don't know the time frame for the rollout of those products though.[/citation]

Prob wont see ddr4 until Q4 2014 servers maybe Q4 2013

I see several well-priced DDR3 16GB SODIMMS, but I don't see any DDR3 16GB DIMMs for under $300. Am I just looking in the wrong places?

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]nebby[/nom]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820239424[/citation]
Nebby, server memory doesn't exactly count as the majority of people using this board aren't going to be buying multiplier locked Xeon microprocessors. They'll be buying the Haswell i5/i7-k series multiplier unlocked processors to overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.