Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti crashing PC under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2018
Hi all,

I've just purchased a second hand GIGABYTE AORUS GTX 1080 Ti and plugged it into my system and already seen it crash a under load in pretty much every game (Except Overwatch so far anyway).

System Specs
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Mother Board
Intel Core i5 4690K 6MB
16GB HyperX Fury Series 1866MHz - CL10
250GB Crucial BX100 SSD
CX750M Corsair 80 Bronze Plus PSU
Windows 10

Install Steps
Swapped out GPU (Had a MSI 970)
Ran DDU (In safe mode on boot)
Installed latest NVIDIA drivers
Uninstalled & Reinstalled MSI Afterburner

MSI Afterburner Details
Display device : GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU
Display driver : 411.63
BIOS : 86.02.39.00.9d
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Logical cores : 4

Then began gaming,

Started in GW2 game was running great, tried selecting the best ascetics graphics setting and immediately my system crashed and rebooted.

Looked up some potential causes online and saw a few posts saying try reducing the clock speeds in MSI after burner to reduce PSU load, this seemed to slow down the crash time but after 30 mins or so the system did the same again.

After the first crash I began logging my MSI after burner results, which can be found here LINK (Not sure if this can help anyone debug the issue)

The temperatures all seem reasonable and I can't see any obvious issues in the logs.

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions, I'm not sure if I should get a refund on the card claiming its potentially not functional? or if its my PSU struggling to deliver the required power?

I've never had issues with my setup while the 970 was installed, any help is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Jack

Solution

You really want something like the following and 650W or 750W is fine.

Corsair RMX
EVGA G2 or G3
Seasonic Focus Plus

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
He has a 750w PSU and it's not a bad one.

Might be a bad GPU. You uninstalled all the drivers. reinstalled using latest drivers, manufacturer software apps were installed (I'm assuming). Make sure you are not running MSI Afterburner and the Manufacturer OC Utilities for that card as they can cause issues with each other, so pick one if you have both installed.

Unless you have a second system that you can test the card with, the last step would be to return the card and get it replaced. Good luck!

Your power supply (assuming it's functioning properly) should be fine. 1 thing ... are you using a splitter for the 2 PCIe power inputs? You should be using 2 distinct cables to power the card.

It really sounds like a hardware problem, but reloading the software would be worth a try.

Gigabyte offers a 4 year warranty, but without an original receipt you might have an issue. It's worth contacting them.

Sep 24, 2018
Hi all, thanks for your suggestions!

I've got my PSUs two 8 pin PCIe going to each of the cards connectors with nothing else attached to them,

My PSU is about 2 years old at this point, but until today I've never seen any evidence of an issue. I know the 1080ti from a 970 is a major power jump but do you guys think it could be the issue?

I will try to get in touch with Gigabyte over it and contact the seller to see if he can help in any way,

Are you using one PCIe cable or both of them?

You should be using BOTH cables, each one has 2 connections so you need to be using one connection on each cable.

Also the PSU is 2 YO, the CX line isn't known for longevity being a budget line. So its time to really look into replacing it, if you plan on keeping a PSU for awhile look into a higher tier unit.

Sep 24, 2018
I'm using both of them, to clarify I have two separate 8 pin PCIe to 6+2 going from my PSU to my GPU.

I'm a little out of touch on PC hardware, just coming back to it now. Would EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD 850W be a be worth £105 next day delivery? and are you confident that this is the issue?

You really want something like the following and 650W or 750W is fine.

Corsair RMX
EVGA G2 or G3
Seasonic Focus Plus

Solution
Sep 24, 2018
Okay I can get one of these EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W should be all good, just some more details before I hit buy,

I re-DDU'ed and just installed the NVidia drivers this time, seems to have made the system a bit more stable but when I launch PUBG now it instantly crashes my system once the character model on the menu screen loads. If I scale the settings down in GForce before launching I can get to the menu. Does that suggest the PSU still?

Actually my system crashed a few moments after posting this (I had PUBG tabbed out in the background)

Yeah, it's still drawing a lot of power, the GTX 1080Ti is no joke.

The EVGA G2 is an excellent unit, one of the best.

I actually have one new in box I haven't used (Have 2x Seasonic Primes), got it in a bundle deal.

Sep 24, 2018
Hi Everyone, the problem was my old PSU.

I've installed the new EVGA G2 and also gone for a fresh windows install (It was about time to do that!)

Been able to max out setting in GW2 no problems, and the same for PUBG currently the only 2 games I've tried. Been in both for a few hours at this point so far so good, considering I was crashing just by selecting max setting with my old supply.

I now have 3 separate PCIe connectors going to the GPU, the card came with a 6 + 6 to 8 PCIe connector that I'm using. as well as the other 8 pin PCIe. Thanks for giving my the confidence to buy a new supply! Its greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.