[SOLVED] Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite vs Asus TUF gaming B550 plus for Ryzen 3900x

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Hi!
Which motherboard is better for Ryzen 3900x. I usually use ASUS so am not sure how is with Gigabyte.
I saw Asus TUF has good VRM temperatures in Debauer video. I think it says it have 8+2 phase design?
Gigabyte Elite says it has 12+2 design, or on some video it says 6+2? and not sure about VRM, one video seemed ok, but was not in English so I didn't understand exactly.
Otherwise Arous looks better, but TUF has USB-C port. Other seems similar regarding ethernet and so. Is Asus more durable? stability is very important to me. They both have m.2 on pcie 4 as I will have gen4 disk.

Will also use G skill TridentZ neo 2x 32GB RAM ddr4 3600mhz and liquid cooling on CPU

Thank you for suggestions!

Last edited:
Solution
The way I see it, it's 12+2 for the Gigabyte board while 8+2 for the Asus. Now, more phases don't necessarily mean better. What you need to look for is good quality mosfet's/VRM's as opposed to quantity.

Apart from power delivery, you need to look for features that you know you will be able to utilize. I've had number of friends and people ask me to build a system for them with future proofing in mind or that they have a path for an upgrade, often times it turns out that they didn't do any upgrade whatsoever and that they had to change the platform entirely.

Lutfij

Titan
The way I see it, it's 12+2 for the Gigabyte board while 8+2 for the Asus. Now, more phases don't necessarily mean better. What you need to look for is good quality mosfet's/VRM's as opposed to quantity.

Apart from power delivery, you need to look for features that you know you will be able to utilize. I've had number of friends and people ask me to build a system for them with future proofing in mind or that they have a path for an upgrade, often times it turns out that they didn't do any upgrade whatsoever and that they had to change the platform entirely.

Reactions: seankor
Solution

seankor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012

So how do I figure out which one has better quality ones?
For Aorus Elite it says: "True 12+2 Phases DrMOS with PWM Doublers design to deliver stable power to the CPU. With capability to handle up to 700 Amps current in a total."

and for ASUS TUF: "Enhanced power solution: 8+2 DrMOS power stages, ProCool sockets, military-grade TUF components, and Digi+ VRM for maximum durability "

So not sure what all this means, they have same ones but Gigabyte has it more so might be better? I hope they are not overheating

Last edited: