Review Gigabyte Aorus FV43U Review: King of the 43-Inch Class

The only market segment for this is those that want 1000 nits HDR content and being smaller than most of the other comparable options. The LG 48 inch CX and C1 TVs do everything else that this does but better for the same price. I personally was able to snag a 55 inch CX for 1350 at Costco about 1 month ago and have zero regrets. Some may say its too big, however, vesa mounted and angled down at 20 degrees and 5 feet from my head its perfect. A monitor like this will be a hard sell for most at 1500.

I feel like the majority of prosumers would prefer a 32-38 inch 4k 120+hz VRR and HDR at 600-1000 nits for 800-1200 dollars instead if this.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I just paid $850 for this, via Amazon, a week or so ago:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_436m6vbpab.htm

Absolutely love the thing and use it as a DP 1.4 monitor, not a TV. 4k never looked so good for me. At first, I thought it might be too big--but after a week of working with it I'm not sure how I ever got along without it. Gaming on this monitor is incredible--you'll feel as if you've never actually seen your games before--it's a whole new dimension. I sit about 4-5 feet away, and that actually seems ideal. The WCG and the various HDR modes must be seen to be believed.

Windows10 scaling is marvelous--it's strange, but I use the same scaling settings on this 43" that I used on my former BenQ EW-3270U 32" 4k--175% with 128% font scaling--marvelous. An amusing thing is that Win10 tried to stick me with a 300% scaling initially which was far and away too big! Ugh.

People who think they have to have the 144Hz probably would turn up their noses at this 60Hz monitor, but I can get far more than 144 fps @ 1440P with vsync off--and AMD's Enhanced Sync all but eliminates page tear. No ghosting whatsoever...very happy.

But this Gigabyte looks very nice, too! My main reason for making this post is to tell folks they don't need to worry about 43" being too big for their desktops. I am surprised by just how much I've come to like it in the last week! The colors & HDR will blow you away, imo. My old BenQ looks worn out and drab, comparatively--now.

It dawned on me that I wouldn't be buying a 6800XT anytime soon because of the shortages--not that I didn't want one badly, so I bought a nice monitor, instead. My 5700XT has a lot of life in it yet...;) I'll get a 6800XT at some point, but it's no longer the imperative it was at the end of 2020. This monitor is helping me to fully appreciate just what I've got in the 50th Ann Ed GPU!

I just paid $850 for this, via Amazon, a week or so ago:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_436m6vbpab.htm

Absolutely love the thing and use it as a DP 1.4 monitor, not a TV. 4k never looked so good for me. At first, I thought it might be too big--but after a week of working with it I'm not sure how I ever got along without it. Gaming on this monitor is incredible--you'll feel as if you've never actually seen your games before--it's a whole new dimension. I sit about 4-5 feet away, and that actually seems ideal. The WCG and the various HDR modes must be seen to be believed.

Windows10 scaling is marvelous--it's strange, but I use the same scaling settings on this 43" that I used on my former BenQ EW-3270U 32" 4k--175% with 128% font scaling--marvelous. An amusing thing is that Win10 tried to stick me with a 300% scaling initially which was far and away too big! Ugh.

People who think they have to have the 144Hz probably would turn up their noses at this 60Hz monitor, but I can get far more than 144 fps @ 1440P with vsync off--and AMD's Enhanced Sync all but eliminates page tear. No ghosting whatsoever...very happy.

But this Gigabyte looks very nice, too! My main reason for making this post is to tell folks they don't need to worry about 43" being too big for their desktops. I am surprised by just how much I've come to like it in the last week! The colors & HDR will blow you away, imo. My old BenQ looks worn out and drab, comparatively--now.

It dawned on me that I wouldn't be buying a 6800XT anytime soon because of the shortages--not that I didn't want one badly, so I bought a nice monitor, instead. My 5700XT has a lot of life in it yet...;) I'll get a 6800XT at some point, but it's no longer the imperative it was at the end of 2020. This monitor is helping me to fully appreciate just what I've got in the 50th Ann Ed GPU!
Thats awesome that you found something that ended up fitting your needs at a price you can live with, cheers and thanks for the info. Personally I cannot got back to 60hz on a monitor for PC gaming.

The only market segment for this is those that want 1000 nits HDR content and being smaller than most of the other comparable options. The LG 48 inch CX and C1 TVs do everything else that this does but better for the same price. I personally was able to snag a 55 inch CX for 1350 at Costco about 1 month ago and have zero regrets. Some may say its too big, however, vesa mounted and angled down at 20 degrees and 5 feet from my head its perfect. A monitor like this will be a hard sell for most at 1500.

I feel like the majority of prosumers would prefer a 32-38 inch 4k 120+hz VRR and HDR at 600-1000 nits for 800-1200 dollars instead if this.
I don't know ... maybe I'm a tiny minority, but I'd really like a 43-inch (basically 40 to 46 inch) 144Hz 4K monitor. For what I do, I'd prefer the larger size -- easier to read -- over the typical 28-inch 4K displays. I've just got enough displays right now that I don't feel the need to pull the trigger on a $1000 monitor.

Reactions: purple_dragon
May 12, 2021
Any who owns this monitor does it charge over USB-C? I own a AOC AGON 49” ultra wide with USB-C and even though it does charge my work laptop it runs at a much lower resolution and looos terrible. I have to use a USB-C to display port adapter to my AGON display to get the full resolution 5120x1440. I have to charge the laptop with the AC adapter it came with.

What resolution can you run on this screen via USC-C and does it charge? Basically is anyone using it for work with a laptop and gaming?

can you run this monitor at 1440p instead of 4K resolution? I’ve got a RTX-2080 TI and that card might not cut it for 4K gaming.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
Does this monitor work with gysnc and HDR at the same time? That's what the review suggests to me?

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Does this monitor work with gysnc and HDR at the same time? That's what the review suggests to me?

Can't tell you--but I can tell you that the 43" Philips Momentum DisplayHDR1000 I bought does, and it does a terrific job of it. I went to the NewEgg site and they have two customer reviews on the 43" Gigabyte (in the "Gaming monitor" pages), so I'd suggest you read both. The first guy really liked his--the second one, not so much. But read his review posted on the NewEgg site. I was a bit surprised--actually--as HDR & Freesync work splendidly here. But I'm not sure what hardware the second guy had in the way of a GPU, but his criticisms were fairly monitor-specific, I thought. At any rate, I'm enjoying my HDR games more than I ever have. Until you see a 43" 4k Wide Color Gamut, DisplayHDR 1000-certified monitor in action, you really can't describe how much better things can be. I sure could not.

May 25, 2021
I have three questions regarding this screen:

• What is the subpixel layout? The other 43" screens from Acer/Asus have a BGR layout, and this makes text quality a lot worse. Can anyone check which it is? Maybe the reviewer could talk about it.
  • How do you achieve 144Hz with it? As far as I understood the review, this can only work with the DisplayPort connection. What is possible via HDMI?
  • I'm currently gaming with 1080p, because I have an older 1060 GTX that won't get decent framerates with 4k, and buying a new card is currently not feasible. Does 1080p 144Hz work over HDMI?

May 27, 2021
Any who owns this monitor does it charge over USB-C? I own a AOC AGON 49” ultra wide with USB-C and even though it does charge my work laptop it runs at a much lower resolution and looos terrible. I have to use a USB-C to display port adapter to my AGON display to get the full resolution 5120x1440. I have to charge the laptop with the AC adapter it came with.

What resolution can you run on this screen via USC-C and does it charge? Basically is anyone using it for work with a laptop and gaming?

can you run this monitor at 1440p instead of 4K resolution? I’ve got a RTX-2080 TI and that card might not cut it for 4K gaming.
I use this monitor with a laptop for work. I get 4k at 60Hz via USB-C, but that's a limitation of the laptop. The FV43U manual says it'll do 4k 144Hz over USB-C.

It charges over USB-C at only 15W. That's been enough to keep my battery topped up despite the warning saying "use the charger that came with this device." If course YMMV depending on how much juice your laptop needs.

May 30, 2021

For a gaming PC, OK - But for the CAD/Productivity software that I run, 43" is the sweet spot as I'm trying to create the equivalent of (8) ~21" 1080 P monitors. This also assumes a 100% scaling factor in Windows. A deep dive of this discussion can be found here: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/battlestations/comments/n7tvfq/my_home_office/?sort=new

May 25, 2021
I have three questions regarding this screen:

• What is the subpixel layout? The other 43" screens from Acer/Asus have a BGR layout, and this makes text quality a lot worse. Can anyone check which it is? Maybe the reviewer could talk about it.
  • How do you achieve 144Hz with it? As far as I understood the review, this can only work with the DisplayPort connection. What is possible via HDMI?
  • I'm currently gaming with 1080p, because I have an older 1060 GTX that won't get decent framerates with 4k, and buying a new card is currently not feasible. Does 1080p 144Hz work over HDMI?
I have received an answer to the subpixel layout question from Gigabyte support:

AORUS FV43U Gaming Monitor is BGR layout.

Too bad! :(

Reactions: purple_dragon