Question Gigabyte aorus Gaming 7 z370 cannot boot (c1 error) with ram in slots 3 and or 4. Boots fine when these slots are not used

Feb 16, 2019
Gigabyte aorus Gaming 7 z370 cannot boot (c1 error) with ram in slots 3 and or 4. Boots fine when these slots are not used

Mother board Gigagyte z370 aorus gaming 7 socket 1151 rev. 1.0 support 8th gen Bios F7 date 7/5/2018
corsair memory Vengence LPX cmk32gx4m2a2666c18 x 4
Cooler NZXT Kraken X62 280mm - All-In-One RGB CPU
Graphics board nvidia Geoforce GTX 1060
Windows 10 64 bit

Question/info
  • New build
  • RAM slots DDR 3 and DDR 4 do not appear to function
  • When I placed all 4 RAM in the 4 slots I received a C1 error and no boot
  • I removed all RAM. I proceeded to test all possibilities with all rams in different slots.
  • All 4 RAM when placed in DDR4- 1 and/or DDR4- 1 and DDR4-2 are able to boot without a problem IF the RAM slots DDR 3 and DDR 4 empty.. No error messages
  • ANY combination of RAM where a RAM stick is placed in either DDR4- 3 or DDR4- result in a C1 error and no boot
  • From this I surmised all 4 RAM are working as I was able to boot off of each with a single stick
  • I did reset the bios for the XMP profile this allowed the RAM to work at the speed of 2666. It did not change the dysfunction of slots DDR4- 3 in DDR 4-4
  • After reading a number of online articles I did check the tension of my cooler on the mother board. It is a NZXT Kraken X62 280mm. I backed off the pressure of the holding plate almost to nothing….with no change in the function of the two memory slots..still with c1 errors
  • How shall I proceed. Is there an algorithm for trouble shooting these slots?
  • I am not particularly excited about upgrading the bios however if it is felt that it would actually fix the problem I am game. If you feel this is the next step could you direct me to clear directions on how to do this. The internet is full of poor outcomes with bios upgrades and I would like to avoid this if possible. ( I am a bit new at this..sorry)
  • I appreciate any help you all can provide. Thank you

Feb 16, 2019
Thank you for your input. I appreciated the rapid response. I first upgraded the bios to the latest version...that did not seem to help the two ram slot issue. i then DID take out the cpu. I was able to check both socket and cpu and there were NO bent pins or other signs of abnormality. I can send a picture if you would like but i had a few other folks take a look as well with a magnify set up and everything appeared normal. Reseated the CPU and locked down the Kraken cooler and lo and behold the two remaining ram slots were functional. It would have been good to have a definitive fix for this issues but at this time i am happy everything is up and running. Possible causes could have been the cpu not seated perfect? The kraken cooler lock down may have tweaked the MB? although as I said before I had backed off on the pressure. It is working well with the cooler tightenedn ow. Anyhow appreciate your help. Thanks again