[SOLVED] Gigabyte Aorus P850W Gold or Seasonic focus plus 850w

Solution
The Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850 W. Both have quality capacitors, but the Seasonic is a little better and quieter according to reviews. I just looked at a couple of professional reviews and haven't used these PSU's myself, but if I had to choose I would go with the Seasonic. I have a Seasonic Prime 850 W Titanium that I'm very happy with.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
The Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850 W. Both have quality capacitors, but the Seasonic is a little better and quieter according to reviews. I just looked at a couple of professional reviews and haven't used these PSU's myself, but if I had to choose I would go with the Seasonic. I have a Seasonic Prime 850 W Titanium that I'm very happy with.

Solution

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Of course, a PSU is so much more than a box of capacitors. Even if you have the best capacitors, a crappy design is going to make sure the PSU fails in time.
Yes, of course. I'm not an expert on electronic components and PSU architecture, but I enjoy reading professional reviews and I learn a lot from them. Like: "They say that this thing is good. Hm, why is it good? Let's google and find out!" :)

Seasonic make lots of PSU's, and from what I have learned, their Focus series are well-designed mainstream PSU's with quality components. Right?

Hmmm... I think I've seen your username somewhere, maybe in connection with power supplies. :unsure:

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
any chance u give me a link tho for a review on the gigabyte one ?

i was planning to go Seasonic Focus plus myself at the begin but i was going a 750w one coz the 850w is more expensive but then i found the gigabyte which is much cheaper.

And TY for the fast replies :)

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Here you go: https://www.kitguru.net/components/...opoulos/gigabyte-aorus-gp-ap850gm-psu-review/

The name is a little confusing because it says "GP-AP850GM", and "AP850GM" printed on the PSU itself, but it's the correct one. See the Gigabyte site: https://www.gigabyte.com/se/Power-Supply/GP-AP850GM#kf

Kitguru also reviewed the Seasonic: https://www.kitguru.net/components/.../seasonic-focus-plus-gold-fx-850w-psu-review/

Thx for the effort....i think i will just head back to Seasonic lol.
usually what i care to find regarding stuff like that before buyin is lots of User's review and apparently gigabyte aint being bought by much to find enough info on so its unkown to me and i wont risk it .

i will go back to Focus plus and might even Prime Ultra if i find a good deal for it

Last edited:
usually what i care to find regarding stuff like that before buyin is lots of User's review and apparently gigabyte aint being bought by much to find enough info on so its unkown to me and i wont risk it .

i will go back to Focus plus and might even Prime Ultra if i find a good deal for it

Gigabyte is relatively new to the PSU biz (well.. they're making a come back. They were around 10 years ago) and they use an OEM that nobody is familiar with (more known for power bricks then ATX power supplies) and they're pushing mostly in developing markets where the bigger brands fail to focus on marketing. So you're going to see spotty reception at the most.

The point of me saying that? I thought I should mention that. No ill will.

:D

No ill will. Just, I didn't write the review and since working in the industry, I've become disenchanted with reviewers and their methodologies, feel they grade too easily and can't possibly reflect long term reliability.

That said, I'd say between Gigabyte and Seasonic, I do agree with you that the Seasonic has the upper hand.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I got a good deal on the Prime Ultra 850 W Titanium (20% discount, if I remember correctly). My system doesn't need an 850 W PSU, but hey, it's efficient and the fan in hybrid mode doesn't spin when I play my light games. If I got one with lower wattage it the fan would have started sooner (it starts at 40% load). Since it's 80 Plus Titanium it will draw less power from the wall, but I doubt I will notice it on my electricity bills. :p

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
No ill will. Just, I didn't write the review and since working in the industry, I've become disenchanted with reviewers and their methodologies, feel they grade too easily and can't possibly reflect long term reliability.

Oh, yeah. I understand. I feel the same about reviewers of some things I'm interested in. I like professional reviews, but I also like user reviews by enthusiasts who have the possibility to really use the stuff for a long period and post follow-ups.

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
Gigabyte is relatively new to the PSU biz (well.. they're making a come back. They were around 10 years ago) and they use an OEM that nobody is familiar with (more known for power bricks then ATX power supplies) and they're pushing mostly in developing markets where the bigger brands fail to focus on marketing. So you're going to see spotty reception at the most.

I see thx for the detailed info .... good to see am going with the right decision for seasonic then plus i would have to agree 1000% with ur "developing markets" u see am from egypt and i live there and computer parts market here is not so big making alot of lowly new brands surface with lower prices than the top tier known ones.

Gypooo

Reputable
Jul 26, 2016
I got a good deal on the Prime Ultra 850 W Titanium (20% discount, if I remember correctly). My system doesn't need an 850 W PSU, but hey, it's efficient and the fan in hybrid mode doesn't spin when I play my light games. If I got one with lower wattage it the fan would have started sooner (it starts at 40% load). Since it's 80 Plus Titanium it will draw less power from the wall, but I doubt I will notice it on my electricity bills. :p

hmmmmm if i go Prime Ultra it will be an 1000W Gold no Titanium sadly :(.............but its not a big differnece in terms of price vs a focus plus 850w and 1 of the vendors have a hotdeal on making it almost same what u think should i go Focus plus 850w gold or Prime Ultra 1000W gold.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
hmmmmm if i go Prime Ultra it will be an 1000W Gold no Titanium sadly :(.............but its not a big differnece in terms of price vs a focus plus 850w and 1 of the vendors have a hotdeal on making it almost same what u think should i go Focus plus 850w gold or Prime Ultra 1000W gold.

A review: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/seasonic-prime-1000w-gold-psu-review/

So both are high quality PSU's, just small differencies if you read the reviews. 12 years warranty for the Prime Ultra, vs 10 for the Focus. Hm, if they sell for almost the same price then the Prime Ultra would feel more fun to have. shrugs It's up to you. :)