Question Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite no POST after ryzen 7 5800x upgrade

May 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

Let me start out by saying I searched the whole day to find a solution, but I can't. My apologies if similar questions have been asked before :nomouth:.

Today I upgraded my Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 5800x. Steps I took are as follows:
1. First, I flashed my GB Aorus x570 Elite bios to the newest version: f33h.
I rebooted, and my pc got stuck on the first screen you see (press del to enter bios, F12 for boot options etc)
After about a minute I could get into the bios. I thought this might have to do with the Ryzen 5 being not very compatible with the newest bios version or something, so I shut the computer down and installed the Ryzen 7.
  1. With the Ryzen 7 installed, it still got stuck on the boot screen. When waiting for the screen to disappear, after some minutes, there was no POST. No message either.
  2. I started googling for RAM compatibility issues. I have 4x 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz CL16s installed. I tried many options, turning XRP on and off, trying different voltages, running at stock, taking a couple of them out, etc.
  3. I tried to power down the system completely, by pressing the on button when no power is connected. I rebooted and this time the first screen was very quick and I got booted into Windows! However, this was the only time it succeeded, once I rebooted from Windows I got stuck at the problem described in nr. 2.
  4. When I drain the power by pressing the power button, I can get into the bios very quickly, however no POST. When I have rebooted, I get the slow start screen and get into the bios eventually, though also no post.
  5. It seems that the bios update has caused some incompatibility to occur, since the first time I still had my old Ryzen 5 2600 installed, and I got stuck already.

Things I tried:

• Reverting back to older bios versions that still have compatibility with Ryzen 5000 series.
  • Removing memory sticks one by one
  • Removing all disks except for my 2 nvme SSDs (of which one has my Windows 10 boot loader)
  • Changing videocards
  • 'tweaking' some bios settings, according to forum posts I read today:
Setting Power Loading to Enabled,
Disabling CSM support (won't see my drives then)
Trying and tweaking some different setups of memory timings, XMP, voltages etc (though I have no clue what to do).

Does anyone have a suggestion of things to try?

System Specs:
Windows 10 Pro, up to date
Ryzen 7 5800x
MSI Geforce GTX 1070
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz CL16 CMK16GX4M2D3000C16 1.36V v3.31
Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite v1.0
Be Quiet 650W PSU

nvme drives:
Kingston SA1000M8240G
ADATA SX8200PNP
SSDs:
OCZ-VERTEX3
CT2000MX500
HDDs:
WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0
ST6000DM003-2CY186

Thanks in advance!!

Zalmwrap

so, you said you could get into BIOS with the new 5800x. if this is correct you likely reset the bios when you flashed to ther newer version which is normal. since this has happened and you are able to reach BIOS after the new CPU, you need to reset the boot priority, meaning in bios there should be a boot menu, you need to set the storage drive with the OS (win 10) has the number one priority. try this it will hopefully solve your dilemma

May 11, 2021
so, you said you could get into BIOS with the new 5800x. if this is correct you likely reset the bios when you flashed to ther newer version which is normal. since this has happened and you are able to reach BIOS after the new CPU, you need to reset the boot priority, meaning in bios there should be a boot menu, you need to set the storage drive with the OS (win 10) has the number one priority. try this it will hopefully solve your dilemma

Hi norcalsc, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I wouldn't forget something like this, so I already had my Win 10 OS drive as boot drive number one.

Reactions: norcalsc