Question Gigabyte Aorus X570 Xtreme overvolting 3900X

Hey there buddies

Any idea on how to lower voltage besides offset/manual on GA Aorus motherboard [X570 Xtreme]? I mean the 3900X is getting heavy punches of 1.493 vCore. That§s simply nuts!

Please advise

With kind regards

uplink

P.S.: Am using newest BiOS, F3.

It's not unusual for Ryzen CPU's to spike to 1.4-1.5v intermittently. It will normally do this for a split second at a time, and may happen frequently, depending on what the CPU is doing, task wise.

The only option to reduce vcore, is to set manually, which you have said you don't want to do. This is the best way to keep the vcore where you want it. The spikes will not happen, but then you need to ensure that whatever voltage you manually set at, is enough to power the CPU. You will need to test for stability, using Prime95 small ffts or another stress test app, like Aida64, OCCT etc.

When you manually set the vcore, you will have to factor in vdroop, but for an X570 mobo, I'd expect that not to be much of an issue. You can balance that a little with LLC settings.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I'm assuming this only happens under light-ish load, in which case it should be fine. You can double check that all Precision Boost Overdrive/Automatic OC are disabled (may have different names in your BIOS), and that load line calibration (LLC) is at default.

AMD is also rolling out a new AGESA version that should fix some issues, will announce availability of the update on Sep 10. Maybe that will change your voltages a bit too.

I'm assuming this only happens under light-ish load, in which case it should be fine. You can double check that all Precision Boost Overdrive/Automatic OC are disabled (may have different names in your BIOS), and that load line calibration (LLC) is at default.

AMD is also rolling out a new AGESA version that should fix some issues, will announce availability of the update on Sep 10. Maybe that will change your voltages a bit too.

Yeah, good spot @TJ Hooker

The new Agesa update will hopefully sort some issues. From looking at the AMD release on it, it looks like it will affect voltage spikes and cores actually hitting their boost speeds too. But, it also makes clear that not all cores on the Ryzen 3xxx series are equal. This is the only downside I see with Ryzen 3xxx.

Thank You kindly @TJ Hooker and @keith12, so from what I see, I'll stay on auto. Yes, those are spikes, and yes, in heavy load, he goes down to 1.31 - 1.32ish vCore.

My temps are in prolonged load up to 70°C on surface. Is that okay for Ryzen 3900X? I have no idea how these 7nm CPU's behave, sorry for the noobish question.

I have high air flow case with high air flow fans, set to 800 rpm for low temps and 1000 rpm for moderate temps [55 - 65°C], so that's that :/

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
My temps are in prolonged load up to 70°C on surface. Is that okay for Ryzen 3900X? I have no idea how these 7nm CPU's behave, sorry for the noobish question.
I'm not sure what you mean by "on surface". But a max core temp of 70C is good, quite a ways from dangerous levels (90+). I personally prefer HWiNFO for measuring temps, but I think Ryzen Master may be the most reliable utility for Ryzen 3000 chips.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I'm not sure what you mean by "on surface". But a max core temp of 70C is good, quite a ways from dangerous levels (90+). I personally prefer HWiNFO for measuring temps, but I think Ryzen Master may be the most reliable utility for Ryzen 3000 chips.
My apologies. I'm all Intel brought up. Erm, AMD monitors only one temperature, from what I've seen in CoreTemp. At Intel CPU's the overall temperature is called "surface temperature" and the inside of the core is reported by core temperature.

I'll try the Ryzen Master tomorrow, thank You once more!

Hmm, jus ttried that Ryzen Master, and there's completely different temperature reading compared to Aorus software [SiV] and Core Temp :/. It's like 10 - 12°C lower.

AMD is still reporting that offset on their CPU's, like they used on the first generation?

Last edited:
Temps should be about 80c, at full stress. At 70c stressing with Prime95 small ffts (v 26.6) is really good. I'd be very happy with that!

Hmm. Ryzen master is pretty accurate, but I'd rather use HWmon/HWinfo to monitor.

No, the first gen offset was resolved long ago within the first few bios updates. It's not something to factor in for Ryzen 2nd/3rd Gen/B450/X570 mobo's.

Reactions: uplink-svk
Temps should be about 80c, at full stress. At 70c stressing with Prime95 small ffts (v 26.6) is really good. I'd be very happy with that!

Hmm. Ryzen master is pretty accurate, but I'd rather use HWmon/HWinfo to monitor.

No, the first gen offset was resolved long ago within the first few bios updates. It's not something to factor in for Ryzen 2nd/3rd Gen/B450/X570 mobo's.
So, how come I have such a discrepancy in readings of temperatures?

Okay, from the point of view of getting some base line measures I'd suggest the following.

Using HWMon/HWinfo, let your system idle for 20 mins. Take a screen shot of HWMon/Info and save it.

Then run a demanding game/ app and alt-tab out of it and take a screenshot of your system at gaming load.

Then do the exact same only using Prime95 small fft's only, and take another screenshot and post.

As a rough guide, this is where your temps should be:

Idle - Temps should be about 30-35c

Gaming Load - 35-65c game dependant. Could be slightly higher than 65c if playing something like BF V

Stress Test load - 65 -80c. 80c is considered the optimum max temp for a CPU in OC'ed mode. More than 80c, the CPU could throttle. Different for Intel CPU's. Throttling doesn't start untill CPU hit's 90c.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It looks like maybe Ryzen Master is maybe averaging the temperature of all the cores? Because otherwise I think it'd be unusual to show two decimal places for the temp. I've never used Ryzen Master myself, not sure if there's a way to get it to show individual core temps.

Thank You kindly for Your reply. Okey dokey, I'll stay put than. Thank You once more!

TRENDING THREADS