Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 9 Oversized-ATX Motherboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Mmmm not so sure here. Not much gain for double the price and SLI when Nvidia is moving away from it? I just don't get the point of this mobo. It has some cool features, but the number one thing listed - SLI - is kind of supported these days?

Motherboards are becoming so expensive. They cost the double of what they were costing 5 years ago. So many useless gadget are now offered out of the box that drive the price up. My personal limit was always 200$ and I am going to stick to it. Optimal OC doesn't worth 100$. Better upgrading the CPU at that price.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I went with the Gaming 5, it has more features than I need. A distinct lack of accessories in the box I suppose, but I really didn't need anything beyond the board itself. Still thought it was expensive. Might just be inflation though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not sure what you mean by "kind of supported", but this might have been an incomplete expression of a greater thought. And if you're thinking "Three way SLI has been phased out on the most-recent cards, and two-way SLI is supported without the extra components", then you're thinking like a responsible spender.

It's the top LGA 1151 board for overclocking and testing various configurations, so it wins. If I had to pay for it, I would have likely chosen a lesser board.

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
So Poll - who actually upgrades their motherboard op amps? My motherboard came with the feature, but I don't ever plan to do so.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
I miss the old days when motherboards came without onboard sound ... Today Motherboards come with everything onboard that you almost never use the expansion slots ...

What is the point of 7 slots when you never use all of them ? I think it is better to let us choose the sound card , the LAN card instead of forcing us to accept what the company put onboard when it comes to 7 slots motherboards (ATX)

The fun is gone all together.

IMO onboard components should be on mATX and ITX mobos , because it is hard to add cards .. but for ATX ? make them cheap and let us choose the other hardware parts please. much more better .

For Example , Creative Z cards used on this motherboard are good , but what If I want Asus Xonar high end card ? and still want this motherboard ? Why pay twice for audio chip ?

What if I want better Lan chip ? Wifi ? Etc ?

What is the point in buying a motherboard with 7 slots other than adding hardware of choice ?
What if I want a better USB3.1 chip ? instead of Asmedia I get Intel ?

we want High END motherboard (best OC , RGB leds , Best cooling) but Empty as well so we add the hardware we want as we wish. like the old times.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But if you wanted 4-way SLI, you wouldn't have any slots left. If you wanted 3-way SLI, you'd only have one slot left. And half of the top-model graphics cards I'm seeing have coolers that are just a little more than two-slots thick, so if you wanted to have two of those on a six-slot board, you'd have no slots left. Why only six slots? Because manufacturers figured out way back in the old days that omitting the top slot gave them much more room around the socket, and many reviewers actually PRAISED motherboard manufacturers for doing this because it freed up space around the DIMM latches.

I was always dubious of leaving out the top slot, because that same idea destroyed the market for slim ATX cases. You know, the ones that used a riser card. In the top slot.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Thanks for your reply ,

I am not saying cancel the Multi GPU (3 and 4) Motherboards concept with onboard chips .. I am saying give us one FREE OPEN and BEST Quality Motherboard as well .

That is , when you release a Motherboard like this one reviewed here , make two of them , one for Multi GPU people , and one OPEN and cheap for the rest. but the SAME MOTHERBOARD Quality .. not entry level .

For example , The Z270 Chipset has 24 lanes ...

I would expect an Empty motherboard like this :

Slot 1 : X4 PCIe to Z270
Slot 2 : X4 PCIe to Z270
Slot 3 : X16/X8 PCIe to CPU
Slot 4 : X4 M2 to Z270 (so 2 slots GPU can fit)
Slot 5 : X16/X8 PCIe to CPU
Slot 6 : X4 M2 to Z270 (so 2 slots GPU can fit)
Slot 7 : X8 PCIe to Z270

as you see this configuration takes advantage of ALL 16 CPU lanes , and ALL Z270 24 Lanes , while giving you x8 slot , and two X4 slots and two X4 M2 slots... 24 total !!!

and no one needs stupid X1 pcie slots ... X4 can take x1 cards ... putting x1 slots means not all Z270 lanes are connected !!! and means no USB3.1 cards , no Multi LAN cards , etc

As for the spacing you talked about , it is easy to solve ,

Once there is not much onboard devices , the Back I/O will be VERY SMALL and TINY , the whole I/O Space can be used for space around Dimm Latches !!!

in an Empty Motherboard the i/o Area moves to the SLOTS .

or if you insist on 6 slots only for space , cancel slot 1 or make it another M2

This is the Motherboard I want to see ...

where I can use ALL the 24 lanes of the chipset and choose any hardware I want. PLUS 2 dual slots GPU !!!

people who want 3 and 4 GPU are almost 0.1% .... they can have their expensive Motherboard ...

Edit : Actually using this idea , by eliminating the back i/o ports andmoving them to slots , they can make DUAL XEON ATX motherboard as well with ease and more DIMM SLOTS on a small ATX motherboard instead of EATX or EEATX . that is 4 dimms per Xeon , dual xeons , no need for narrow sockets , proper cooling , AND on ATX only

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Yes and no ...

the point here is that you have more hardware in the system, not to use all the hardware at the same time...

I doubt any one can use all the DMI3.0 connection bandwidth at once continuously ... and if one needs that he can move to X99 platform and get 40 lanes CPU.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

Thank you, yes - that's why you get paid for your thoughts!

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
So for the same price you can get an R7 1700 + Asus X370 Pro motherboard, cpu that blows the 7700K and also the 6850K out of the water, pretty much a 6900K.

z270 and x99 are dead platforms, 4 core + HT cpu's are peasant level that do not worth more than $150. Why pay $500 for an obsolete platform????

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Z270 and X99 are no way dead ... All what Intel needs to do is lower their prices and it is coming soon.

AMD is just pricing their products right ... Intel has a CPU ready already for each of the AMD CPU ... and even better , Intel has a 10 cores i7 as well that can be priced around $700 to take the lead.

here is what I am expecting :

1- i7 7700k : $250
2-i7 6800K : $350
3-i7 6900K : $500
4-i7 6950X : $700

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
To be honest as an enthusiast I would love a board that actually strips a lot of things off so we can have better electrical isolation and better traces. More resources for the core components and less stuff to fail or interfere.

jrhansen

Reputable
May 30, 2016
Also all these onboard accesories, like 4 way Sli, 3 networks, creati.. crap sound, M.2 u.2 and 8 Sata slots.
Board makers need to be realistically.
The people that chooses these boards are not idiots, and have no need of 8 Sata slots and 3 networks that will never reach their full potential because of bus sharing
I would honestly rather have a sturdy board with just 1 U.2 and 4 Sata that were all able to run at full speed.
These boards are only for people that like to boast thatthey have too much money. And the test shows that it, overall is slower than most of the other boards based on same chipset, and cost almost 3x as the cheapest ones...

WhyAreYou

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
Quite expensive I'd say
li3a.png

Status
Not open for further replies.