Question Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi not powering on

Feb 21, 2019
I'm having trouble with a new build. The Aorus logo on the I/O panel and on the board flashes on very briefly when powered on, but that's it. No POST beeps. What does that brief flash indicate?

I have assembled just the basics outside the case on an antistatic pad:
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
Intel core i7-8700K
Noctua NH-D15 cooler
Corsair RM 1000x power supply

Connected the 24 pin and 8 pin power cords, case power switch, POST speaker.

The power supply was tested with a power supply tester and all voltages were at set points. I have tried two boards of the same model. The CPU went in smoothly. I did not see any bent pins with a magnifying glass. I also tried backing off a full turn on the CPU cooler to make sure it wasn't an over-tightening. I've reset the CMOS battery.

I'm at a loss here. I've done two Asus motherboard builds in the past with no issues, but this is my first Gigabyte board. Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

Feb 21, 2019
The problem comes as soon as I turn on the power supply. The logo flashes on, then goes off, CPU fan does not spin, no beeps from the POST speaker. Yes, I've read all manuals thoroughly for this problem. I've contacted Gigabyte and they just listed the usual troubleshooting tips. I have RMA'ed the board, but I'm still having the same issue with the second board. So that makes me think I'm missing something. Could it be a non-functioning CPU?

Mar 8, 2019
Did you ever get this solved? I am having a similar issue with the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X. When I power on I can get the board lights to turn on but I can't power anything else, even when I try to trip the power pins.

Feb 21, 2019
No. I went with an Asus Maximus Hero XI board instead. I was having similar trouble with that board as well, with lights on the motherboard, but pressing the start button on the board (the Asus board is nicer that way in that there is a start button on the board), nothing happened. But what solved the problem was installing the video card. Earlier, I was just trying the basics (motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler, and power supply) and outside of the case. I was expecting to get POST beep codes indicating something was missing, but it didn't happen until I installed the video card. Then I got a beep code indicating memory was not installed, the cpu fan started up, the Q error code on the board (another nice feature of the ASUS board) indicated memory was not installed. So once I got that, I knew the board, cpu, and power supply were good and I started adding the rest of the components. I'm very happy I switched to the Asus board because it was easier troubleshooting and I'm up and running now. I still have the Gigabyte board. Maybe I'll try tinkering with that in the future. So, I'm not much help with your problem. Maybe try installing the video card with just the basics to see if that helps. But I had the whole computer assembled in the case before I ran into powering on problems and then went down the troubleshooting road.

Mar 8, 2019
No. I went with an Asus Maximus Hero XI board instead. I was having similar trouble with that board as well, with lights on the motherboard, but pressing the start button on the board (the Asus board is nicer that way in that there is a start button on the board), nothing happened. But what solved the problem was installing the video card. Earlier, I was just trying the basics (motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler, and power supply) and outside of the case. I was expecting to get POST beep codes indicating something was missing, but it didn't happen until I installed the video card. Then I got a beep code indicating memory was not installed, the cpu fan started up, the Q error code on the board (another nice feature of the ASUS board) indicated memory was not installed. So once I got that, I knew the board, cpu, and power supply were good and I started adding the rest of the components. I'm very happy I switched to the Asus board because it was easier troubleshooting and I'm up and running now. I still have the Gigabyte board. Maybe I'll try tinkering with that in the future. So, I'm not much help with your problem. Maybe try installing the video card with just the basics to see if that helps. But I had the whole computer assembled in the case before I ran into powering on problems and then went down the troubleshooting road.

Gotcha - thanks for the update. It's funny you mention that because my first build was an ASUS board and I thought about how easy it was compared to this, so when my Gigabyte started giving me trouble my first thought was to go back to ASUS.