Question Gigabyte Aorus z390 Pro - won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012
Hello all

I recently made the move to upgrade my system. Purchasing a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

Specs are:
MOBO - Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
CPU - i7 9700k
CPU cooling - Corsair H50
RAM - Corsair LPX DDR4 2x 16GB 2666 mhz
PSU - Corsair 850w
GPU - RTX 2080

Building everything yesterday, I went to turn on my machine and nothing happened.

When turning on the mains a very quick flash lights the up LED's on the motherboard then no other lights are illuminated. I have tried the PWR connectors, swapping PWR with RST to see if that works but nothing. The PWR connectors on my case have always been a little fiddly though, sometimes where I have to pull out the main and reconnect to get it to boot. I removed the GPU and still nothing. Tried each RAM to see if that was the problem, nothing. The computer was working fine with my previous build, so I can't imagine it's PSU related.

Since I have removed the water cooling mount around the CPU and found a slight scratch on one trace line - photo here - did I over tighten the screws perhaps and this is causing the board to short and not boot? also, might I have done further damage the RAM?

Any other suggestions for what I could do to find the source of the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Alistair

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012
Okay - small update. Some signs of progress!

The top left of the board there's 2 ATX slots – 4 x 12v ATX & 8 x 12v ATX – when I removed the cable from the 4 pin slot, only booting with the 8 pin , the mobo booted. however, when i then put in the other cable, it didn't boot. so could be the cable?

Do I need to be putting power into both the 4 pin and 8 pin ATX slots?

Alimonc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012
I see, okay that makes sense. The computer is now up and running. Which is great news! Thank you for all the help.

The cable is a 4+4 one with a fixed 8 pin at the other end - I was putting the 8 pin in the PSU and then splitting the 4+4 to connect to the mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS