[SOLVED] Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra Red CPU LED lit

Dec 8, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a problem with my new Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra board so here goes:

Bought the Z390 board from Amazon.
Bought i7 Core 9700K CPU from Newegg (which is supported according to Gigabyte CPU support webpage)

Step #1: Ground Myself using wrist strap plugged into power bar with only ground pin active.
Step #2. Install CPU into new board
Step #3. Apply thermal paste
Step #4: Install CPU FAN ( took a few tries to get the pins in the board but finally all of them snapped and the fan is secured)
Step #5: Plug in CPU FAN into Board
Step #6: Install 8GB of ram into Bank A on MB
Step #7: Plug in Power SW into Front Panel on MB
Step #8: Turn on power supply and press power button on Chassis

Fan turns on with lights and it spins. CPU RED LED light comes on immediately. NO ERROR CODES are displaying in the error LED display.

Fan with lights stays on for a good 5 - 7 sec and then turns off.

Then it turns on again and every 4 secs, the lights "blink" off for a split second and then come back on and then loop like that until I power off

Chassis I am using is Eclipse P350X.

I never tried booting the board outside the chassis. The reason why is because the board is elevated from the base, it does not touch metal.

I then contacted Amazon and got a replacement Z390 Ultra MB.

Performed all the steps stated above and exact same problem, this time with a new board.

Which now I ask myself:

Defective CPU?

Board shorting inside the case?

Incompatible memory?

I will try removing the memory completely and see if the CPU RED LED is still on.

I also tried the memory in Bank B next to the motherboard power connector pins.

SO, if anyone can help, please help me before it starts getting expensive!

Dec 8, 2019
Hi guys,

Well, I found out that I didn't plug in power to the CPU.

This is news to me - as well it should be because I haven't built a system in a long time but my question is I have 2 possible power inputs according to the manual and the PSU provides two 4 pin connectors

There is one 8 pin connector and one 4 pin connector for the CPU power:

ATX_12V_2X2

and

ATX _12V_2X4

Do I plug in both 4 pin connectors into the 2 x4 pin power input on the board or just 1 x 4 in the 1 x4 connector on the board?

Thanks!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Might want to check the motherboard manual pgs. 15 and 16. If your power supply has an 8-pin (4+4) 12V ATX power connector, use that. Otherwise, just use the 4-pin 12V ATX power.

Also, depending on the stepping of your processor (P0 vs R0), your motherboard may require a BIOS update (F3 vs F7) for your processor to function properly.

-Wolf sends

Hi guys,

Well, I found out that I didn't plug in power to the CPU.

This is news to me - as well it should be because I haven't built a system in a long time but my question is I have 2 possible power inputs according to the manual and the PSU provides two 4 pin connectors

There is one 8 pin connector and one 4 pin connector for the CPU power:

ATX_12V_2X2

and

ATX _12V_2X4

Do I plug in both 4 pin connectors into the 2 x4 pin power input on the board or just 1 x 4 in the 1 x4 connector on the board?

Thanks!

Both 4 pin to the 8 pin header. If not overclocking, you can leave the 4 pin one not connected.

Dec 8, 2019
Might want to check the motherboard manual pgs. 15 and 16. If your power supply has an 8-pin (4+4) 12V ATX power connector, use that. Otherwise, just use the 4-pin 12V ATX power.

Also, depending on the stepping of your processor (P0 vs R0), your motherboard may require a BIOS update (F3 vs F7) for your processor to function properly.

-Wolf sends

How do I figure out which one I have (P0 vs R0)

I was wondering that when I saw the same i7 9700K processor listed on Gigabyte compatibility but I do not know which one I have.

Wolfshadw

Titan
How do I figure out which one I have (P0 vs R0)

I was wondering that when I saw the same i7 9700K processor listed on Gigabyte compatibility but I do not know which one I have.

If you look on the processor itself, it should show something like a part number. In your case, SRELT or QQPK would mean P0 (requires BIOS version F3). If it says SRG15, then it has R0 stepping (requires BIOS version F7)

CPU-World QQPK
CPU-World SRELT
CPU-World SRG15

-Wolf sends