News Gigabyte Apologizes for 'Made in China' Comment After Losing $550 Million

Giroro

Splendid
You know, the Chinese government is pretty good at manufacturing "social media outrage". They're also pretty good at manipulating advertising algorithms to ensure that pro-China fluff is profitable, and anti-China news gets buried.
It turns out you can pretty easily direct traffic and generate a lot of clicks when you have complete government control over the media and internet access of 1.4 billion people.

You know, the Chinese government is pretty good at manufacturing "social media outrage". They're also pretty good at manipulating advertising algorithms to ensure that pro-China fluff is profitable, and anti-China news gets buried.
It turns out you can pretty easily direct traffic and generate a lot of clicks when you have complete government control over the media and internet access of 1.4 billion people.
Feelin' like it's the otherway around in the US :censored:

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I can't think of any products made in China where I would not think the Taiwanese version was of higher quality.

In my opinion, Chinese products are inferior to those made in many other countries.

But, the quality of Chinese products have vastly improved over the last several decades. Maybe someday we will consider Chinese products to be of high quality?

But, the quality of Chinese products have vastly improved over the last several decades. Maybe someday we will consider Chinese products to be of high quality?

Perhaps. It is the same way that Japan did - watched, learned, copied and made better. If Chinese in general will throw away stupid habit to con their customers and cut corners where it is bad to do, they eventually will turn out as good product makers in mass. I will not get offended if they will ask adequate price for their products then.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Seems like a chance to buy the stock at a discount.

The Chicom overreaction is typical bullying. How about a factual refutation of the claim ?

I would like to buy Gigabyte stock - but I don't have a Taiwan Stock Market account. Also, is Gigabyte trading halted today?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Feelin' like it's the otherway around in the US :censored:
huh? without getting into politics it's kinda the same, the only difference is that one is run by the state and the other by a media oligopoly.
everything you post on mainstream social media is managed by algorithms, if you post nice stuff that agrees with the current trends in X/Y/Z you get more "likes" but if you're against the current moral establishment you get shadow or permabanned from different platforms.
Likes, internet points, social credits, same thing different name.

Reactions: purple_dragon

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Says the company whose 90% of its products are made in China in someway. Also, Gigabyte is not a brand I associate with quality either. Pretty dumb to self grandiose by slamming probably your biggest market. At least when Sony did the same to Americans it was when the company, and Japan were truly at the top of the world. Ironically Sony quality, and the made in Japan reputation started deteriorating just after the company started making those obnoxious comments. Gigabyte and Taiwan today are no way near where Sony and Japan were in the 80s, so again, pretty dumb and probably more an inflection point of the so called Taiwan brand, which funny enough probably only few outside Taiwan think it's that great in the first place.

Reactions: Krotow

nopass21

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I can't think of any products made in China where I would not think the Taiwanese version was of higher quality.

In my opinion, Chinese products are inferior to those made in many other countries.

What Taiwanese version?
Even Gigabyte admitted in their apology letter "China accounts for over 90% of their production capacity".
As someone who's living in Taiwan and has worked (and is still working) for "Taiwan" or "American" tech companies such as ASUS, ASRock, EVGA, Apple.
Think of us as ODM/OEM but instead of the manufacturing, we mostly do design, PR, and marketing.
Whatever brand you're using. HP, DELL, APPLE, Lenovo, ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, ASRock or EVGA.
Your device (or most parts of your device) is manufactured in China. Not really "made in Taiwan".

Reactions: wujj123456

wujj123456

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I don't understand this obvious own-goal. As mentioned above, for people who don't read Chinese, it was explicitly spelled out that China accounts for 90% of their production in their apology. You can also see from the list of subsidiaries from their financial report [1] that all the manufacturing subsidiaries for computer parts are in China mainland, though exact distribution of production volume was not listed. If that's lower quality, what picture does that paint for most of their own products? Then their revenue from China is as big as US plus Canada from FY2019 report. The risk of revenue loss isn't negligible.

I just don't see a winning formula with that original statement, whether they believe it's true or not.

[1] https://www.gigabyte.com/Investor/134

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Chinese stuff is usually cheap junk. Their lack of regulations means they can just output anything they want however they want and they don't have to worry about any type of oversight.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't understand this obvious own-goal. As mentioned above, for people who don't read Chinese, it was explicitly spelled out that China accounts for 90% of their production in their apology. You can also see from the list of subsidiaries from their financial report [1] that all the manufacturing subsidiaries for computer parts are in China mainland, though exact distribution of production volume was not listed. If that's lower quality, what picture does that paint for most of their own products? Then their revenue from China is as big as US plus Canada from FY2019 report. The risk of revenue loss isn't negligible.

I just don't see a winning formula with that original statement, whether they believe it's true or not.

[1] https://www.gigabyte.com/Investor/134

In Gigabyte's apology the company said the post happened due to a problem in internal oversight so this is not like when Sony CEO trashing America in the 80s. The kid who manage(d) social media in Gigabyte probably belongs to Taiwan's ruling party. Taiwan's current administration is a Trumpian wannbe and has been touting how Taiwan is GREAT because they now run the country. This includes huge media spending on how Made-in-Taiwan is the greatest thing since slice bread and everything and anything to do with China is inferior and evil so to deflect their own incompetence. This guy in Gigabyte likely drunk the government Koolaid without bothering to read the company's annual report first, and doesn't know what empathy is.

May 13, 2021
"part of the text content published on our official website is seriously inconsistent with the facts." It is? "low-cost, low quality way" is actually understating the case, unless poisonous dog food and ineffective vaccines are what you actually meant to purchase.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

I think this is where people don't understand. PC makers (and not just limited to PC makers) are moving manufacturing to China for cost reasons. The truth is that China manufacturers can give you high quality product, but unless if one is willing to pay for it. So what Gigabyte said is somewhat true in a sense their competitors uses low cost and resulting in low quality products. But its only somewhat true because this does not apply to just China but to any manufacturer based in other countries as well.

Ironically Gigabyte is also not cleared of producing poor quality products. Just as someone rightfully pointed out about Gigabyte's exploding PSU which they are trying to get rid by bundling them with GPU nowadays.

Reactions: Krotow
I think this is where people don't understand. PC makers (and not just limited to PC makers) are moving manufacturing to China for cost reasons. The truth is that China manufacturers can give you high quality product, but unless if one is willing to pay for it. So what Gigabyte said is somewhat true in a sense their competitors uses low cost and resulting in low quality products. But its only somewhat true because this does not apply to just China but to any manufacturer based in other countries as well.

Chinese manufacturers can make high quality products, but with a catch. If they want to OR if they work under serious supervision of customer who made order for production. Because average Chinese manager without restrictions and responsibility feeling to customer begin rampant corner cutting to reduce costs by goal to make himself richer. Seen some interviews with enterpreneurs in US and Europe who both told the same. Without hard supervision and "good friends" in China you will get excelent pilot party of manufacturing product. And then - either random junk or counterfeit product made by side manufacturing owned by (surprise) same managers or former partners will try to kick you out from business - often with government support.

Gigabyte indeed have their can of worms which should be sorted out. Like dealing with USB issues in B550 motherboards and starting to use proper quality components in their PSUs (PSU exploding happened due to inferior power transistor quality).