[SOLVED] Gigabyte Auros Z390 Xtreme not recognizing Samsung SSD in external enclosure

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, I am using Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB SSD. I have put it in two different enclosures. Each time, the SSD mounted automatically on my MacBook Pro (both under Mac OS and Windows 7 on bootcamp). However, when I connected it to the DIY desktop PC made with Gigabyte Auros Auros Z390 Xtreme and running Windows 10, it did not show up under Device and Drive when I clicked the PC icon on desktop. When the SSD was put inside the Sabrent enclosure, it showed up only under disk drive in device manager. What is wrong here? How can I fix the problem? Thanks

Enclosures I tried:

1. Adwits USB 3.1 UASP to PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD Adapter
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07F2S9KYN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Sabrent USB 3.2 Tool-Free enclosure for NVMe PCIe M Key M.s SSD (EC-TFNE)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081FHQ781/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
The Adwits enclosure uses the ASMedia ASM1153 bridge chip while the Sabrent uses the JMicron JMS583 (it's possible to firmware-update the Sabrent anyway), which might explain why they work differently. Of some importance can be the USB host (your system's USB host/drivers), beyond that I'm not sure if your specific file system setup etc.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Does it appear in Disk Management?
If so, right click the main partitions and select 'Change Driver letters and paths' and then assign it a drive letter.

It appears in Disk Management. Unlike the two SSD installed directly on the motherboard, there is a red circle with a white arrow pointing down icon on the disk symbol on this external SSD. There are three partitions. 499MB Recovery Partition Normal, 100MB EFI System Partition Normal and 930.91MB with no description. Right clicked on each. The 'Change Driver letters and paths' option for the 100MB and930.91MB options are dimmed. As for the 499MB partition, only Help option is available.

The Adwits enclosure uses the ASMedia ASM1153 bridge chip while the Sabrent uses the JMicron JMS583 (it's possible to firmware-update the Sabrent anyway), which might explain why they work differently. Of some importance can be the USB host (your system's USB host/drivers), beyond that I'm not sure if your specific file system setup etc.

Solution