[SOLVED] Gigabyte B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 - - - - make the mobo see M.2 as /dev/sda after adding a SATA HDD ?

dwjackson

Prominent
Jan 22, 2023
Western Digital Green 120 GB M.2-2280 SATA Solid State Drive
Gigabyte B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

With only the M.2-2280 SATA SSD installed, Linux Manjorna recoginizes it as /dev/sda
But when I add any SATA HDD to any of the 6 SATA ports the HDD becomes /dev/sda and the M.2 SSD becomes /dev/sdb ?

how can I make M.2 as first drive again when I add a second drive?

I've already updated motherboard BIOS to latest F17 version.

Solution
Yeah. Linux people can really be Dirks. And I know you know what I mean by that, but this is a family friendly site so I can't say what I'd LIKE to say in that regard. It's kind of funny to me how they are always like "you should switch to Linux" and "windows sucks" but then they are VERY much unwilling to be helpful to people who do that and then ask for help. Unlike most of us here that are primarily, but not entirely, Windows users. Of course, most of us have experience all across the board to some degree or other but I don't have any experience really with that specific distro so I think trying to determine if Manjaro is actually the problem is a really good place to start building a foundation in the troubleshooting process.

dwjackson

Prominent
Jan 22, 2023
No that's a good question I actually used partition software to wipe the drive it's completely blank. After that I reinstalled mangiorno gnome hoping it would pick up the slack but it didn't. This particular motherboard has six SATA and one NVME port. NVME share SATA port 5 but I am purposely not using Port 5. Been kicking this around for a while never can figure it out

Yeah, just wanted to make sure. And in this case I think your best bet is probably to reach out to the forum users on the Manjaro user forum, because for one thing it's not quite as popular or commonly used as some other Linux distros but also because in a case like this where there are hardware concerns you are somewhat limited in what you can actually do since unlike some other Linux distros, Manjaro is almost entirely automated when it comes to downloading and installing hardware drivers and support packages.

Unfortunately none of the consumer motherboard manufacturers offer any official support for Linux operating systems so trying to go through them is a no go.

I think the only GOOD advice that might be helpful in narrowing down where the problem is would be to back up your Manjaro installation to some other location like an external drive, flash drive or cloud storage, then install Windows on the M.2 drive, then connect the other drive and see if you still have the same problem with Windows installed or if it only happens with Manjaro. You could also potentially try installing Ubuntu to see if a different Linux distro makes any difference.

dwjackson

Prominent
Jan 22, 2023
Yeah, just wanted to make sure. And in this case I think your best bet is probably to reach out to the forum users on the Manjaro user forum, because for one thing it's not quite as popular or commonly used as some other Linux distros but also because in a case like this where there are hardware concerns you are somewhat limited in what you can actually do since unlike some other Linux distros, Manjaro is almost entirely automated when it comes to downloading and installing hardware drivers and support packages.

Unfortunately none of the consumer motherboard manufacturers offer any official support for Linux operating systems so trying to go through them is a no go.

I think the only GOOD advice that might be helpful in narrowing down where the problem is would be to back up your Manjaro installation to some other location like an external drive, flash drive or cloud storage, then install Windows on the M.2 drive, then connect the other drive and see if you still have the same problem with Windows installed or if it only happens with Manjaro. You could also potentially try installing Ubuntu to see if a different Linux distro makes any difference.

this sounds like very sage advice. thanks for your comments. this is a plan I can work with.

Of course it should go without saying that before you install Windows, IF you install Windows, you will want to either completely remove ALL existing partitions on that drive OR choose the "Custom" option during the Windows installation and use it's built in utility to remove them prior to then choosing to install Windows to the un-partitioned drive space. Windows will create any required partitions and perform any necessary formatting, automatically, during the installation process.

Good luck Jackson.

Reactions: dwjackson

dwjackson

Prominent
Jan 22, 2023
You have really stuck with me on this issure. I use a usb bootable drive with gparted to clear all the partitions and unallocate the drives first then i will install usb windows 10 or 11 to test this out. You have really made me want to find out if this is the issue. Manjorno forums don't want to solve technical issues.

Yeah. Linux people can really be Dirks. And I know you know what I mean by that, but this is a family friendly site so I can't say what I'd LIKE to say in that regard. It's kind of funny to me how they are always like "you should switch to Linux" and "windows sucks" but then they are VERY much unwilling to be helpful to people who do that and then ask for help. Unlike most of us here that are primarily, but not entirely, Windows users. Of course, most of us have experience all across the board to some degree or other but I don't have any experience really with that specific distro so I think trying to determine if Manjaro is actually the problem is a really good place to start building a foundation in the troubleshooting process.

Solution

dwjackson

Prominent
Jan 22, 2023
It was the same in windows but I chose drive 1 instead of 0 and it installed OK.
I found out in the case of NVME vs SATA motherboard recognizes SATA first.
Apparently the BIOS can accept this as long as you choose the correct BOOT DRIVE
I just installed ARCH LINUX not Manjorno this time and I manually configured the drives
I still had to choose DRIVE 1 as BOOT but it seems to work. Time will tell for sure.

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png