Question Gigabyte B450M DS3H compatibility with G.SKILL SniperX 3200 (F4-3200C16Q-64GSXFB)

Mar 8, 2020
Hey everyone here, I want to ask a compatibility opinion about my build.

I'm upgrading my micro ATX build to a Ryzen7 2700X with a gigabyte ds3h (this MB seems simple and stable, that's why I chose this) and with 64GB of ram. I found this SniperX ram in a good price but this is not on the MB manufacturers vendor list, nor MB on the ram's vendor list.

Although , the pcpartpicker's compatibility suggestion page says this ram is compatible with this motherboard.

Here is my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yNGrp8

I plan to upgrade the MB, CPU and RAM onIy, I already have the other parts from my current build.
I wont game on this build, just freelance 3D tasks. I want to keep it simple, literally not OC, just have a stupid stable build.

Thanks for every constructive feedback!
gezs

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So long as the board has the slots that conform to the rams you're looking at, you're good to go. QVL's are to state that the motherboard makers tested the rams/ram its in their factory prior to launch. If motherboard makers had a QVL for every ram stick/kit out there, the board wouldn't see a release date.

literally not OC
Anything that is running above DDR4-2133MHz is an overclock so to get to the advertised DDR4-3200MHz on the rams, you will be overclocking on the build and the Integrated Memory Controller.

I would choose a more robust board. What is your budget for the entire system? You're located in U.S.A?

Mar 8, 2020
Thank you for your fast reply!
I plan to budget the MB-CPU-RAM trium under 500 EUR, the build above it's 530.
The must is the 64 GB of ram.
Located in Hungary now.

I'd be much satisfied with this setup:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.96 @ Newegg)
Total: $189.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-08 04:59 EDT-0400

The ASRock board is more fit for a 2700X due to improved VRM configuration and VRM cooling(more robust power delivery to your CPU). You can get the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX but it'd more expensive... it's a bit better than the ASRock, but both are great all in all.

Also I'd be much comfortable with the TXM 550 is miles ahead in terms of quality and reliability against that EVGA... you'll want something reliable with an 8 core.

If that's out of your budget a Corsair CXM 550 would be much better too... although not as solid as the TXM unit.

These things, in my honest opinion, just need some improvements in your build.... considering they're really important core components, avoid cutting costs on them.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020
I'd be much satisfied with this setup:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.96 @ Newegg)
Total: $189.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-08 04:59 EDT-0400

The ASRock board is more fit for a 2700X due to improved VRM configuration and VRM cooling(more robust power delivery to your CPU). You can get the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX but it'd more expensive... it's a bit better than the ASRock, but both are great all in all.

Also I'd be much comfortable with the TXM 550 is miles ahead in terms of quality and reliability against that EVGA... you'll want something reliable with an 8 core.

If that's out of your budget a Corsair CXM 550 would be much better too... although not as solid as the TXM unit.

These things, in my honest opinion, just need some improvements in your build.... considering they're really important core components, avoid cutting costs on them.

Thanks, I'm considering to buy a better PSU.
Although the MB must be a mATX format.

This would be my choice for matx:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $83.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-08 05:26 EDT-0400

Definitely worth it over the ds3h.. only $12 more and a better board overall.
It'll also be good for OCing the 2700X.

I know that you don't plan on overclocking , but in the future you'll have the possibility of squeezing more performance from your CPU... which is always a great thing.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020
This would be my choice for matx:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $83.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-08 05:26 EDT-0400

Definitely worth it over the ds3h.. only $12 more and a better board overall.
It'll also be good for OCing the 2700X.

I know that you don't plan on overclocking , but in the future you'll have the possibility of squeezing more performance from your CPU... which is always a great thing.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Although this board is not on the sniperx 3200 vendor list also.

Thanks!
It means it will run on lower frequency or doesn't boot at all?

It will work, but you'll maybe be forced to run at a lower frequency. When you initially install the modules, every RAM kit will run at the default 2133 MHz, no matter the speed. Your system should boot up fine if you leave them at default speeds. The problems might appear when OCing... you might need to lower the memory frequency.

If you want to get to the advertised you'll need to enable XMP from BIOS(basically oc your memory). Now, when you'll enable it with 4 modules @ 3200 MHz your system might not post(don't worry it will try to post several times and if it won't work it'll go back to default BIOS settings by itself and boot up fine)... you'll probably need to OC manually to 2933 MHz(we'll guide you through) instead of enabling XMP.

Though some guys have had memory running at 3200 MHz stable across 4 dimms with a 2700X. Just make sure before enabling XMP(oc your memory) to update your BIOS to the latest version.

Last edited:
Reactions: gezs
Mar 8, 2020
It will work, but you'll maybe be forced to run at a lower frequency. When you initially install the modules, every RAM kit will run at the default 2133 MHz, no matter the speed. Your system should boot up fine if you leave them at default speeds. The problems might appear when OCing... you might need to lower the memory frequency.

If you want to get to the advertised you'll need to enable XMP from BIOS(basically oc your memory). Now, when you'll enable it with 4 modules @ 3200 MHz your system might not post(don't worry it will try to post several times and if it won't work it'll go back to default BIOS settings by itself and boot up fine)... you'll probably need to OC manually to 2933 MHz(we'll guide you through) instead of enabling XMP.

Though some guys have had memory running at 3200 MHz stable across 4 dimms with a 2700X. Just make sure before enabling XMP(oc your memory) to update your BIOS to the latest version.
Thanks!
I didn't even think the cpu could be a problem to not run the ram at max freq, but makes sense.

Mar 8, 2020
Thank you all of your answers!
I think I should re-think this build, with a better board and a sure compatible ram.
So I will decline this order and re-order something better configuration.
1 problem: I may have time to build and try the system only from July, I just had the idea, maybe the parts prices will go up until the summer and the better to buy now.
In this case if I can buy something what has a written compatibility with the other parts it's a better idea maybe.

And for the config above, I re-checked the G.Skill Sniper X 3200 compatibility page and the only mATX board what is compatible and not too crazy in price is the ASRock X570M Pro4.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KZLwrH/asrock-x570m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-x570m-pro4
Since I plan to buy a Ryzen 7 2700X, this board seems overkill for me, and maybe it's not an optimal config for a 2nd Ryzen cpu., but I just guess.

I will happy with any further opinions:)

Mar 8, 2020
I just checked the above suggested ASRock b450m pro4, and I found this table on their web page about ram support:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp#Specification
What this table mean actually?

In a case I want to put 64GB of ram what runs at least 3000 MHz, what kind of ram configuration can I put there?
I used the Corsair's memory finder, and I found this ram is compatible with this ASRock motherboard:
VENGEANCE® LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categ...t---Black/p/CMK64GX4M4C3000C15#tab-tech-specs
But I am really not sure, they can run on 3000 MHz in thos board with this cpu?

I think I am lost, this topic is way more complicated what I expected:)
Thanks for any support!