[SOLVED] Gigabyte B450m + Ryzen 3600 m.2 support?

Help94

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
I was gonna buy an m.2 storage since my mobo has a slot for it. But when I checked the support page for my mobo it says
"Supports only M.2 SATA SSDs when using an AMD Athlon™-series/ 7th Gen. A-series or Athlon™ X4 APU. "
so I'm a bit confused does my Ryzen 5 supported? Already tried googling it but I cant find a direct answer.

Solution
its the B450m-DS3H

not sure though, I don't wanna waste my money if it doesn't work because according to their page it says "Supports only M.2 SATA SSDs when using an AMD Athlon™-series/ 7th Gen. A-series or Athlon™ X4 APU"

M.2 is just the form factor.
With those lower end CPUs only M.2 drives with a SATA interface are supported... they are not any faster compared to 2.5" SATA SSDs.

With your Ryzen CPU both M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe drives are supported (so basically every M.2 drive)... The NVMe drives use the PCIe interface, some of them are called x2, they use 2 PCIe lanes and are slower than the x4, which are using 4 lanes.

M.2 NVMe drives are much faster than SATA ones. SATA 3.0 drives are limited to 600 MB/s speeds, while...

Help94

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
its the B450m-DS3H

not sure though, I don't wanna waste my money if it doesn't work because according to their page it says "Supports only M.2 SATA SSDs when using an AMD Athlon™-series/ 7th Gen. A-series or Athlon™ X4 APU"

Of what board are you talking about exactly?... there are many Gigabyte B450M models.

What are they saying there is that those CPUs only support M.2 SATA SSDs. Your ryzen should support both M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe drives.

its the B450m-DS3H

M.2 is just the form factor.
With those lower end CPUs only M.2 drives with a SATA interface are supported... they are not any faster compared to 2.5" SATA SSDs.

With your Ryzen CPU both M.2 SATA and M.2 NVMe drives are supported (so basically every M.2 drive)... The NVMe drives use the PCIe interface, some of them are called x2, they use 2 PCIe lanes and are slower than the x4, which are using 4 lanes.

M.2 NVMe drives are much faster than SATA ones. SATA 3.0 drives are limited to 600 MB/s speeds, while the NVMe drives using 4 PCIe lanes (x4) can reach up to 3+ GB/s speeds.

TLDR: All M.2 drives will work with your motherboard and CPU... just wanted to clarify the differences between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Help94
Solution