Question Gigabyte B550 Aorus beep code ?

blaqstarr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
steamcommunity.com
okay, to start with i build a new pc on september 2021 with everything new except reusing my old gpu (r9 290 tri-x). then after the build is done i got a beep error sometimes i started the pc (1 long beep 2 short beep). from gigabyte and help from the around the internet all of them is pointing out that my gpu is the issue so i changed to asus tuf rtx 3080 back in december. the error code is still there but not too much of a hassle as before which i concluded probably because i'm using a Samsung 32" LED TV. to mitigate the beep error, everytime i started the pc i always make sure not to turn on the tv at the same time just let it post with a single beep then i turn on the tv no big deals.

yesterday i get a new monitor, LG 27GP850-B and it started fine and dandy until today, i get the same beep error (1 long beep 2 short beep). so does anyone have any idea what wrong with my pc, plus the beep is totally random and my r9 290 tri-x still working fine which i gave to my sister. any chance that this is motherboard issue or ram issue? cause the ram is not in compatibility list? just now my sister use my pc and it started just fine like wtf?

cpu: 5600x
mobo: b550 aorus pro ac
gpu: asus tuf rtx 3080
psu: corsair hx 750
ram: corsair 16gb

Colif

Win 11 Master
the beep code = GPU Memory error - the VRAM on the GPU itself.

check the slot on motherboard GPU goes in - see if anything in it or if its damaged.

it does seem unlikely it is 2 GPU causing the same error.

do you have latest bios on motherboard?

blaqstarr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
steamcommunity.com
the beep code = GPU Memory error - the VRAM on the GPU itself.

check the slot on motherboard GPU goes in - see if anything in it or if its damaged.

it does seem unlikely it is 2 GPU causing the same error.

do you have latest bios on motherboard?

yeah, i have flash the latest BIOS since the update drop probably 3 month ago. boggles my brain like wtf is happening. 2 GPU causing the same error is very unlikely but currently its starting up fine. the only think that i can remember is that when i bought the pc case, the retailer stuff the PSU inside and it arrive with broken glass and cause a small outward dent on PCIE slots which i undo with small pressure with my hand.

is there any chance that could be the issue?, cause i still remember when i try to screw the gpu onto the slot the screw hole kinda not align correctly with gpu

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How much force you reckon is there with gpu misaligned with screw holes? Probably not the issue but i guess to rule anything possible is lay the case down and remove the screw and let gpu sit normally. Try second slot as well to rule out cpu pcie lanes / generation hiccups since second slot runs from chipset, see what happens.

Check as well the video cable connects properly to the card because sometimes case can interfere with that depending how close the ports are to case chassis and size of cable plug housing. Maybe connection is slightly off, still kinda works, but when it doesn't could cause short detection issues maybe.

Last edited:

blaqstarr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
steamcommunity.com
well, just get back from work and reseat the gpu and check the screw hole, just a hairline off so i guess that not the issue. started the pc and of course it's running fine just like usual. ask my lil sister did anything weird happened during the day of her using it, she said no. no beep no nothing, she even played cyberpunk 2077 with no hitch or anything. check the PSU, no rattling or buzzing, the PSU did spin then i shut it off and power it on for 3 times and it's running like normal i guess. i don't even get it or know what the hell happened anymore

blaqstarr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
steamcommunity.com
Your sister wouldn't have rebooted the system so no post dramas, the state of system is unchanged. By you reseating and correcting few things may have helped the situation. We'll see in the next few days.

well it did happen again just now. back from work, start the pc , same ole 1 long beep 2 short beep. press the power button till it shut off then turn on the monitor and start the pc again and voila it boot and post normally with 1 single beep. i'm scratching my head here but is there anyone out there run into this kind of problem

What "TYPE" of BIOS does your board have?

Is it American Megatrends (AMI)? If so, that is definitely a video error.

I'd try a different video cable. Look closely at both ends of the cable and make sure there are no bent pins on either end or in either socket that they plug into.

How long has that HX 750w power supply been in service? Could be having an intermittent or beginnings of failure if it's got enough miles on it.

Could also be related to an improperly installed CPU, graphics card, CPU cooler or memory as well, because all of those things can have an effect on video output. Sometimes a very slightly bent pin on the CPU can cause things like this, but usually in that case there will be some kind of visual discrepancy onscreen to indicate it, but maybe not always.

I'd pull the video card, check the PCIe slot to make sure there is no small little pieces of debris or anything down in the slot. Even a little piece of fuzz or plastic or packing material, very tiny, could cause an issue. Check the teeth on the graphics card as well. Sometimes a little piece of clingy plastic can stick to that, although it's a lot less likely since it happened with two different cards, then reseat the card. Make sure it is fully seated and that the lock engages the cutout in the bottom of the card at the end of the PCIe slot. Make sure your auxiliary power cables that plug into the graphics card are fully seated at both ends as well.

If nothing else pans out, then I'd say looking at the power supply or motherboard are the likely solutions.

Might also be a really good idea to make absolutely certain that you don't have any standoffs under the board that are in any locations that don't line directly up with the required ATX form factor mounting holes. If the case came with the standoffs preinstalled and you didn't pay attention to whether there were any installed for microATX or other form factors, which sometimes they are and you have to remove one or two, I'd be for checking that as well and about the only way you can really do that is to take the board back out unless you know for sure there was a standoff that didn't line up with a hole and you installed the board anyhow.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What "TYPE" of BIOS does your board have?

Is it American Megatrends (AMI)? If so, that is definitely a video error.
I think its AMI, they have a B550 Aorus, I have an X570 Aorus, I can't see Gigabyte using different bios makers on boards that are so similar, made within a year or so of each other. I haven't run into any other OEM that use different bios makers between B & X boards. So pretty good chance.
Use of licensed AMI UEFI BIOS
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-aorus-pro-ac_1001_e.pdf

cable is a good idea. The cause is probably something thats been the same on both builds.

blaqstarr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
steamcommunity.com
well, i think the problem is solved i guess. the last thing i did was updating gpu driver from 512.15 to 512.59 and the update cause a black screen flickering so i ddu and roll back to 512.15 and still have the same flickering issue which cause me to roll back to 511.79 and also detach the dp cable give a good ol blow to the connector. since then i have no issue booting up my pc. probably the driver or dp got some dust in the connector but no issue for the last 6 days

Reactions: Colif
I doubt it was dust, that's not likely to cause any issues on a display cable unless it's literally packed with dust, and I've never seen the end of a cable get packed with dust. It's more likely that it was simply not 100% plugged in or that there was just a tiny bit of galvanic corrosion on the surface of one of the pins which was resolved when you unplugged it and plugged it back in. It could have been a driver issue, but that too is at least partially unlikely unless it was simply because there was a BAD driver installation, otherwise we'd have been hearing about it from a much wider audience because rarely does a driver problem requiring a rollback to an earlier version happen when using a very common combination of aftermarket hardware and OS.

Either way, so long as it's working, that's what's important.