[SOLVED] Gigabyte B550M S2H 'Auto' PBO causes black screens /pc freeze

Aug 23, 2021
Hello. I have the B550M S2H and the Ryzen 5950X. When the PBO in my motherboard is set to 'auto' by default, I get black screen /pc freeze only when gaming. If I turn the PBO to 'disabled' it's rock solid. I'm on bios F13. Any suggestions?

Solution
Will try now. By the way, my VRMs hit about 99 degrees when in full utilization.
Yeah that's really hot considering you're not even running pbo which makes the CPU a lot more power hungry. I'd still think it should at least POST, but never can tell.

Maybe it will work on MANUAL since one of the ways to limit power draw on this CPU is to make a tweaked PBO with lowered settings and an undervolt. It seems to get like 90-95% of the performance in all-core work loads but on power limited motherboards it would do a trick since light threaded work loads (gaming) should be unaffected.
Hello. I have the B550M S2H and the Ryzen 5950X. When the PBO in my motherboard is set to 'auto' by default, I get black screen /pc freeze only when gaming. If I turn the PBO to 'disabled' it's rock solid. I'm on bios F13. Any suggestions?
Do you have any other processor performance options enabled? like 'auto-oc'?

Is CPU core voltage on AUTO?

Have you tried overclocking memory? perhaps by XMP?

Aug 23, 2021
No nothing. Everything is default. Cpu core voltage too (changing it to 'normal' doesn't stop the problem). XMP is on (even when it's off I still have the issue). Should I worry about my Ryzen or could it be a bios bug?

No nothing. Everything is default. Cpu core voltage too (changing it to 'normal' doesn't stop the problem). XMP is on (even when it's off I still have the issue). Should I worry about my Ryzen or could it be a bios bug?
5950x is pretty heavy cpu for that board. But I have to think it would boot and POST, only causing problems in heavy all-core loads under PBO should the VRM overheat and go unstable.

I'd update to F13 although I'm not positive it would fix it. There have been other significant fixes for 5000 series cpu's.

Also: do a CMOS reset both before and after updating the BIOS. Turn off, disconnect power, remove battery, short the pins for 30 sec's to a minute then reassemble.

Aug 23, 2021
5950x is pretty heavy cpu for that board. But I have to think it would boot and POST, only causing problems in heavy all-core loads under PBO should the VRM overheat and go unstable.

I'd update to F13 although I'm not positive it would fix it. There have been other significant fixes for 5000 series cpu's.

Also: do a CMOS reset both before and after updating the BIOS. Turn off, disconnect power, remove battery, short the pins for 30 sec's to a minute then reassemble.
It's actually performing extremely well. Everything in order. Only thing is I have to keep PBO disabled. The black screens/freeze only appear in gaming, nowhere else, if I keep PBO in 'auto'.
I am on F13, and I did perform cmos reset. Nothing changed. PBO is the only option I have to keep 'disabled'. But it puzzles me as to whether it's a gigabyte bios thing that can be fixed with a later bios update, or if it's my cpu that is problematic.

It's actually performing extremely well. Everything in order. Only thing is I have to keep PBO disabled. The black screens/freeze only appear in gaming, nowhere else, if I keep PBO in 'auto'.
I am on F13, and I did perform cmos reset. Nothing changed. PBO is the only option I have to keep 'disabled'. But it puzzles me as to whether it's a gigabyte bios thing that can be fixed with a later bios update, or if it's my cpu that is problematic.
have you tried setting PBO to MANUAL? It should open up some more settings if you have it pick the the MOTHERBOARD presets, if not just leave it in defaults.

Will try now. By the way, my VRMs hit about 99 degrees when in full utilization.
Yeah that's really hot considering you're not even running pbo which makes the CPU a lot more power hungry. I'd still think it should at least POST, but never can tell.

Maybe it will work on MANUAL since one of the ways to limit power draw on this CPU is to make a tweaked PBO with lowered settings and an undervolt. It seems to get like 90-95% of the performance in all-core work loads but on power limited motherboards it would do a trick since light threaded work loads (gaming) should be unaffected.

Solution
Aug 23, 2021

Do I actually need to have PBO on 'auto'? I mean is it a 'must'? Or can I keep it disabled with no impact?

Do I actually need to have PBO on 'auto'? I mean is it a 'must'? Or can I keep it disabled with no impact?
I never use it on AUTO on my motherboards as it doesn't do anything for me (I have a 3700X). I'm not sure anyone does, actually. They almost always use MANUAL and slide the values up or down to increase performance or limit power draw, or just leave it disabled.

So if you're not going to try to tweak PBO settings I'd say leaving it disabled is as good as AUTO...except it actually POST's so maybe better :)

PBO ALWAYS increases power draw of the CPU when used right to improve performance. In your case, with your VRM temperatures in STOCK settings, I'd only use it to limit power draw in heavy loaded scenarios.

Aug 23, 2021
I never use it on AUTO on my motherboards it doesn't do anything for me (I have a 3700X). I'm not sure anyone does, actually. They almost always use MANUAL and slide the values up or down to increase performance or limit power draw, or just leave it disabled.

So if you're not going to try to tweak PBO settings I'd say leaving it disabled is as good as AUTO...except it actually POST's so maybe better :)

PBO ALWAYS increases power draw of the CPU when used right to improve performance. In your case, with your VRM temperatures in STOCK settings, I'd only use it to limit power draw in heavy loaded scenarios.
Thank you so much!