Question Gigabyte b660 DS3H DDR4 5 Beeps and No Video

May 7, 2022
Hello all,

So, I recently decided to upgrade my system with the new i3-12100f. I got a gigabyte B660 DS3H DDR4 motherboard to go with it along with some new ram. I kept all of my old components, including a Saphire 270x GPU and 800w PSU.

Problem is that when I turn on the system I get 5 beeps and the VGA light on the motherboard debug lights turns on. I get no video to the monitor, although everything has power as all the fans are turning on. I thought it might be a compatibility issue (it being a new motherboard and an old GPU) so I updated the motherboard bios using the Gigabyte Q-Flash technique. The update bios 3.0 was supposed to fix legacy GPU compatibility issues, however my problems still persisted after the update.

I'm not sure what to do now. Gigabyte troubleshooting says that five beeps means a CPU error but I can't see how that would be the case. I installed it correctly and had a friend double check to make sure there were no bent pins etc. All wires have been unplugged and replugged and everything has been cleaned to make sure there is no dust getting in the pins. My guess is that the motherboard bios isn't happy with my GPU for some reason, but I'm really not sure why.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Nov 20, 2021
Hello all,

So, I recently decided to upgrade my system with the new i3-12100f. I got a gigabyte B660 DS3H DDR4 motherboard to go with it along with some new ram. I kept all of my old components, including a Saphire 270x GPU and 800w PSU.

Problem is that when I turn on the system I get 5 beeps and the VGA light on the motherboard debug lights turns on. I get no video to the monitor, although everything has power as all the fans are turning on. I thought it might be a compatibility issue (it being a new motherboard and an old GPU) so I updated the motherboard bios using the Gigabyte Q-Flash technique. The update bios 3.0 was supposed to fix legacy GPU compatibility issues, however my problems still persisted after the update.

I'm not sure what to do now. Gigabyte troubleshooting says that five beeps means a CPU error but I can't see how that would be the case. I installed it correctly and had a friend double check to make sure there were no bent pins etc. All wires have been unplugged and replugged and everything has been cleaned to make sure there is no dust getting in the pins. My guess is that the motherboard bios isn't happy with my GPU for some reason, but I'm really not sure why.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Check the memories and seated properly, Remove all other PCI cards on the motherboard. Just the CPU and memories and turn on systems. If it still beeps, motherboards issue...

May 7, 2022
Check the memories and seated properly, Remove all other PCI cards on the motherboard. Just the CPU and memories and turn on systems. If it still beeps, motherboards issue...
Thanks for advice. I've given that a go and still no luck... My last effort will be to try a friend's gpu. If that doesn't work will have to try return the motherboard

May 7, 2022
Hello. Is Your problem resolved?
I just had exact same problem and i fixed it by changing threaded pins underneath the Mobo for 1mm longer.

Hello, thanks for the reply. I never got to bottom of the issue. I just returned the board and exchanged it for a Z690 which, granted, was a lot more expensive, but it worked straight out of the box. I'm convinced that it was due to some sort of compatibility issue with legacy graphics cards as the Saphire 270x I have is very old and definitely in need of upgrading. Unfortunately, I had no way to prove that was the issue as I didn't have a spare graphics card lying around to test that with.