Question GIGABYTE b660 gaming x ax ddr4 not recognizing NVME M.2 SSD

Nov 15, 2022
I've had this PC for a few months and it's been working great! I had my OS installed on my 1T SSD NVME. Some storms came through where I live and although we had the PC turned off and plugged into a surge protector, something is wrong. When I booted back up it gives me a blue error screen and then a few minutes or so go by and pops up BIOS screen.
So I have done plenty of reading forums, watching you tube, looking at manuals, unplugging SATA cables, changing around BIOS settings, reinstalling windows... Nothing I do is showing any drive in the m2a slot. I have tried SO MANY different ways to rectify this but again, I'm a super noob when it comes to any of this at all. I have updated BIOS. I have rebooted with a USB drive. I have tried CSM mode enabled. I have tried legacy mode and auto mode and UEFI mode. I have NO IDEA what's going on. I'll put my PC build specs below. It's my NVME M.2 SSD that is not registering and it is plugged into the M2A slot. Please help.

GIGABYTE B660 Gaming X AX DDR41700.
Intel core i7 12th gen
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 To 8Gb
16 GB ram x4
Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB HDD
Arctic Liquid Freezer II Liquid CPU cooler
Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1T M.2 2280 NVME SSD

All I am trying to do is have my motherboard recognize there is an SSD plugged into the M2A slot so I can then install Windows 11 OS onto said SSD.
PLEASE HELP

What is your EXACT power supply model and how old is that unit?

What country are you in, so that we know what kind of power grid we are dealing with?

HAVE you tried plugging directly into the wall socket, with no power strip?

Are you using any kind of UPS battery backup?

Nov 15, 2022
EVGA SuperNOVA G6 650W 80+ GOLD Certified Fully Modular power supply. This PC was built this year in April 2022I received it in May 2022.
Everything is brand new and only been used since May

Right, but it doesn't matter if it was due to the storm or not, which is unlikely if everything else is still working other than this one drive, but still, technically, possible. These drives are somewhat delicate and don't have the kind of protections that older style drives usually have, or some other hardware.

What we don't know is whether it is the bus that serves the M.2 slots or the drive itself, that has been damaged. And really the only way to determine that is to either buy or borrow another M.2 drive and try it in this board or try this drive in another machine.

If the guy you bought this from is local to you, you might try taking the drive to him to see if he can test it in another motherboard for you, or take it to a repair shop and have them test the drive unless you know somebody else with a motherboard that has an M.2 slot it can be tested in.

There is really no other ways to figure out what is going on. Test different drive in this board or test this drive in a different board. That's it.

Reactions: ChefAintNoITpro
Nov 15, 2022
Right, but it doesn't matter if it was due to the storm or not, which is unlikely if everything else is still working other than this one drive, but still, technically, possible. These drives are somewhat delicate and don't have the kind of protections that older style drives usually have, or some other hardware.

What we don't know is whether it is the bus that serves the M.2 slots or the drive itself, that has been damaged. And really the only way to determine that is to either buy or borrow another M.2 drive and try it in this board or try this drive in another machine.

If the guy you bought this from is local to you, you might try taking the drive to him to see if he can test it in another motherboard for you, or take it to a repair shop and have them test the drive unless you know somebody else with a motherboard that has an M.2 slot it can be tested in.

There is really no other ways to figure out what is going on. Test different drive in this board or test this drive in a different board. That's it.
Totally! I am going to get a friend of mine to test the current m.2 SSD I have to see if it is the drive itself (hopefully so) and if it is I'll be getting another drive. fingers crossed

TRENDING THREADS