Question Gigabyte B85M-D3V-A cant run E3 1231 V3 at boots clock

Dec 24, 2022
Sorry for my bad english
As title,i have a B85M D3V A with Xeon E3 1231 V3 and it cant run at boots clock,always at 3.4 ghz even when i stress test or play AAA game like gta v(my gpu is gtx 1060 6gb)
But when i run Xeon E3 1231 V3 with H81 of msi or gigabyte,it run at 3.6 at all time(because intel turbo boost can boots 2 core at max is 3.8 and the 2 core remain is lower so the average clock is 3.6 i can understand it)
Pls help me because my h81 is broken and i just bought that b85

Dec 24, 2022
cpu temp is around 40-45C,when stress 10-15mins,it go up to 50-55C
spec is Xeon E3 1231 V3
8GB kingston ram 1333
B85M D3V A gigabyte
PSU : EVGA SUPERNOVA 450GM

Dec 24, 2022
its still running at 3.4 ghz

and the weird thing is, the cpu's TDP is up to 210W, i don't have any idea about this weirdness

321665911_900494047888169_5608942576721764928_n.png

pls help me im so hopeless,thank you
Screenshot_26.png

What I'm looking for is at least one of those cores to show 3.8Ghz as the max clock speed on HWMonitor. From what you've got there though it doesn't look like it's boosting at all as the max clock speed is 3400Mhz.

Pre 8th gen Intel turbo boost was largely irrelevant for sustained loads because as soon as you load up anything beyond a light load even if the CPU is not saturated it will return to it's base frequency. So I would not expect to see it boosting in games unless they are very light.

However it does look like turbo boost is not working. Your package power shouldn't be anywhere near that high. Can you scroll to the top and see what the CPU VCORE is.

I feel that's being reported incorrectly, your temps are too low for that to be real.

Dec 24, 2022
At first it was auto, but then i edited but they are still at 3.4 Here are some pictures from bios after I edited them

here is link to images: https://drive. google. com/drive/folders/1-YnJEbFiWQEHRGklyvm6KhD4eNToU2fw?usp=share_link

At first it was auto, but then i edited but they are still at 3.4 Here are some pictures from bios after I edited them

here is link to images: https://drive. google. com/drive/folders/1-YnJEbFiWQEHRGklyvm6KhD4eNToU2fw?usp=share_link
Bios looks ok to me, the CPU ratio though is the CPU multiplier and not related to Turbo Boost, that should be 34. It shouldn't let you change it. I can't really see anything wrong. can I ask what CPU power plan you are using in Windows?

Dec 24, 2022
im using ultimate performance which unlock from CMD(i watched the video on youtube and followed it),and i tried the performance mode(which can choose default in power plan)
but the trouble still there
(sorry for my late reply)

Dec 24, 2022
im using “performance mode” for h81,and then when i change to b85,its not boosting and i tried the “ultimate performance” (i unlocked the ”ultimate” when i using h81 and use it but dont know the reason why it changed to “performance mode” when i change to b85)

im using “performance mode” for h81,and then when i change to b85,its not boosting and i tried the “ultimate performance” (i unlocked the ”ultimate” when i using h81 and use it but dont know the reason why it changed to “performance mode” when i change to b85)
I've seen cases where the power plan affected the turbo boost, that's why I'm asking if the balanced profile doesn't work.

the problem is not from power plan my bro,i think its from the mainboard,in bios,its still run at 3.39 and not up or down
Almost certainly but I have seen cases where the power plan affected boost. If there was something weird going on with your power draw that would affect turbo boost, but I just don't believe the numbers HWMonitor is showing.

I have had on occasion cases where I'm getting strange behaviour from my PC even though everything in the bios is set correctly. In my case resetting the CMOS resolved the issue.

Reactions: rongbienkho
I have decided to return the item to the seller, I will find another motherboard that can run full 4 cores at 3.8ghz. Do you have any suggestions?
Just to clarify, you clearly have a problem with turbo boost because it doesn't appear to be boosting under any circumstances. However running the CPU at 3.8Ghz on all 4 cores is effectively an overclock, it's not normal behaviour for a 1231v3.

I'm not well versed in Haswell motherboard models, though I did build a Xeon 1231v3 system about 4 years ago. An Asus Z97 board would be appropriate, they typically have a feature called Multi Core Enhancement which applies the max single core boost speed to all cores, which is exactly what your trying to do. I believe this works even on non K CPU's.

Other manufacturers have a similar feature but under different names. You may find Z97 boards are quite expensive to get hold of though, I would only do it if the price was reasonable. You could also start another post asking for advice specifically on 4th gen Haswell motherboards. There are plenty of people on here that have experience with 4th gen.

Reactions: rgd1101