Gigabyte beep code

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Basically my desktop one day just went to sleep (i assumed) on me and when i turned it back on, i was greeted with not the regular single beep, but rather 4. I have a gigabyte motherboard and i'm not sure of the model but i got it around 2016 (which is relevant). I looked up what the beep codes meant and mine (one longer beep, and 3 short ones right after) said it was an AGP error. Through minimal research i found that people who got that had a graphics card issue, although the error is for AGP which i read isn't really used anymore.

After reading about that, I removed my gpu and took it apart. I completely cleared out any small dust i could find and made sure every cable and screw was where it should be and tightened correctly. After putting it back, I still didn't have anything change.

What i'm wondering is mostly, was the gpu the wrong thing that's wrong even if people said that beep code was due to it? Or is it correct and it's a dead gpu (it had quite a lot of use).

I think i'm fine with spending the money to get an upgrade (and it's about time) but i would hate to get a new graphics card only to find out that wasn't the issue.

Not sure where to categorize this.

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

wouldn't i need to go in the bios menu to do that? i can't access it.

No, to clear the CMOS you need to unplug your computer, remove the coin battery on your motherboard for 30 seconds, then put the battery back in and reboot.

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

Just did, no change. still getting the 4 beeps

It's difficult to make suggestions without knowing what parts you are using. Are you sure which BIOS your motherboard has, AMI or AWARD? In an AWARD BIOS, 1 long & 3 short beeps indicates a problem with the video card, but in an AMI BIOS, 1 long & 3 short beeps indicates memory failure.

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

If it helps, i found the box my motherboard came in. It's a Gigabyte 970A-D3.

Which revision do you have? Revision 3.0 uses an AMI BIOS, all other revisions use an AWARD BIOS.

x581.jpg

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

rev. 3.0

edit: I'd like to add that i'm not sure if the first one is necessarily short, it seems like it stutters a little bit before starting which makes it seem like it takes more time than the rest. It may be 5 beeps as I am not sure how "short" the short beeps are supposed to be.

as the mb is beeping it still alive and can be repaired. if the error is memory and you have two ram stick pull both and use one stick at a time see if the mb posts. if it a gpu error see if a friend or a lock shop can toss one in for testing. if it just the video card with a test card you should see the mb bios boot screen. the last issue that can be a sneaky failure is the power supply. gives the mb voltage to post but not the gpu.

siglack

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015

If what the previous person said is true, I have the AMI version of my motherboard so the 5 beeps would be memory no? Tried doing the ram thing and it didn't help.