[SOLVED] Gigabyte bios corrupted after installing new CPU cooler backup unresponsive

Jul 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

Today I installed a Noctua Nh-d15 and replaced the previous water cooler I've had on my build for close to 7 years now because my CPU temps were beginning to limit my fps while gaming and after replacing the thermal paste it got worse for some reason so I bought the new cooler.

I spent most of the day getting it hooked up cause the screws were unsuspectingly tricky and had to use a lot more force than I thought. I reapplied the paste and hooked up the fans and now when I turn on my PC the fans flick on, then off 3 times before the bios opens saying my main BIOS is corrupted and the gigabyte back up bios attempts to recover the main but the progress does not move from 0%. Ive uninstalled the new cooler and put back the old one and the bios is still corrupt so I've ruled out the cooler directly being the problem. I have unplugged and replugged SATA cables, taken out the mobo battery for a minute or so, played with fan connections and connecting the CPU fan, I also downloaded a bios update onto a USB from another PC but I cannot even enter bios setting or flash my bios. I am thinking of buying a new motherboard but would like to figure if there is another way since my PC was working fine beforehand, besides high temps.

I have a Gigabyte x79 up4 together with a i7 4960x processor. Really any opinions would be greatly appreciated I've spent much time on this today and am not so well versed in PC building but I've been learning recently, including the installation of my CPU cooler which is leading me to believe perhaps I messed up the motherboard from the force I used during installation but I see no visible damage nor did it crack. Thank you

Solution
Damage beneath the processor socket is certainly possible, and that is the most likely place for damage to have occurred, if I read your description correctly.