Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
My system config is
Core i-7 920 2.6 Ghz on Gigabyte X58a-UD3R rev 1.0 Motherboard
12 GB ddr3 ram
1 GB graphics card
Os installed on 256 GB Samsung SSD
2 TB WD HDD
My system ideal temp on Hwdmonitor is 58 - 64°c and same with Real Temp monitor. I was using Intel stock cooler so I thought of replace it with Antec A40 after replacing I checked the temp in BIOS it is showing 127°C but in Hwdmonitor is 53 - 60°c and same with Real Temp monitor. Now after few minutes system is getting shutdown and restart again again with no display. After that I replaced Intel stock cooler but system shutdown after few minutes and restart again and again with no signal display. Please suggest

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
I'm a bit alarmed by the difference in temps between BIOS and your software utilities. I have some ideas though.

• If your computer is stable enough, try doing a bios update. DO NOT perform this step if you don't have confidence that your computer can stay up for the duration of the update as this can brick your system.
  • Try running a stress test while monitoring the CPU temps in windows. If HWmonitor shows the CPU temps climbing as the test progresses and shows you being in the 80's - 90's then I'd probably sooner trust HWMonitor as Intel CPU's will shut themselves down once in the low 100's. If it stays static or doesn't change much, it might be that the computer isn't reporting the correct temps to the OS.
  • Make sure you are using adequate thermal compound on the heatsink - people commonly caution about over-use of the paste but if you check out LTT, they debunked it and found it made little difference. UNDER-PASTING on the other hand could do something like this.
  • On that note, be absolutely sure that your heatsink is making full contact with the CPU. If one of those clips is just a little out of place, you could be losing contact and causing it to heat up even more. An easy way to verify is to take the heatsink off, clean the CPU and it both completely. Apply a good dab of paste onto the heatsink, then fasten it onto the CPU. Remove it immediately and check the spread. If it's not spreading very much, it's likely that it's not making solid contact.
Best of luck :)

TRENDING THREADS