Gigabyte Boasts its USB Ports are Great for iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca87

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
u mean i should change my mobo because i have a stupid iPad that won't charge while in use or not? I don't think so!

G

A good external USB hub (with its own power adapter) will fix the problem too - there are plenty of devices that need more juice than the standard ports provide.

mycpumelted

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]I wonder if this will extend to other things that either need more power or charging as well.[/citation]

Yeah it would be nice to charge my nano while listening to it.

I have run more power from Asus boards as well, even from my laptop. To be honest, EVERY Asus board I had could power a 2000ma laptop drive. My old P35 DS3R would NOT. But my X58A UD5 sure does. My Samsung screen's usb ports seem to run anything.

This is all without a driver.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I own a GA-X58A-UD3R, and it's a great board. Like builderbobftw said, I now understand the full implication of the 3x USB power sticker. :p

I do notice that I'm able to power some laptop drives on my gigabyte that other computers won't too. So, I don't need another cable to connect my drive to the PC. It's just another incentive to buy a Gigabyte board. Of course you can spend $3 and get a Y cable, but this makes it simple. It's a useful little feature. :)

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I find it really stupid that the manufacturers gave USB only 500mA. Why not give it at least 2 or little more amps? Have to use that Y cable every time, and on some computers/laptops even that is not enough...

G

Current is measured by an ammeter, and the units, are you say in the video, are in amps, or more precisely, amperes. Power, on the other hand, is usually expressed in watts. Otherwise very nice...

Current is measured by an ammeter, and the units, are you say in the video, are in amps, or more precisely, amperes. Power, on the other hand, is usually expressed in watts. Otherwise very nice...
Volts X Current(Amps) = Wattage anyway

So

5 x 0.5 = 2.5 watts - Normal USB
5 x 1.25 = 6.25 watts - Ipad's power requirements

Just posting this for those who want a "Watt" number.

Status
Not open for further replies.