Gigabyte Bundles Optane Memory With Two Aorus Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiitaki

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Optane memory would have been great 5 years ago, but it's a solution to no one's problem other than Intel needing to sell something so that they can use the consumer space to pay for the sunk costs of a failed technology.

With mainstream SSD's over 3GB/s there just isn't any excuse for a 32GB module with half the speed?! Too small, too slow, go home and stop embarrassing yourself Intel. Put it in the museum of other intel failures, like next to those graphics were talking trash about.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
The only application where Optane is something you’d like on PC is anyone that does video or photo editing in order to not destroy your SSD each time you do changes to the file amd have to use disk cache.

But like the previous poster said, there are solutions to that, like RAM caching the SSDs which crucial and Samsung already implemented in their SSD software.

Perhaps on a 128GB size for the operating system so that it’s always “loaded”, but still, it would be easier to just use a smaller SSD which is universal on its platform.

I still fail to see any need for home or pro users outside of specialized database labs.

almarcy

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Ah, some critics miss the glory. 32G of possibly usable storage on a MB? Cool beans get counted, but, I started this trek to world wide web code drone warfare on a PDP-8E with 4Kx12 magnetic core memory... the early three wire version. I feed my family well for years from that box and it's 12K Big Brother. Once upon a time, prehistoric code droids had to write machine code to tiny little discrete processors using TTY-33s and paper tape I/O. I enjoy Tom's, but, our IT puffery takes itself a bit too seriously, dig? IT? Al

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.