News Gigabyte Claims Next-Gen Ryzen CPUs Arrive on AM5 This Year

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Error:
AM4 was the home to four generations (Zen, Zen+, Zen 3, Zen 4)
Should be: Zen, Zen+, Zen 2, and Zen 3.

As for whatever is coming this year, it sure sounds like it'll be TSMC N4. Supposedly, AMD and others are waiting for N3E, which I think isn't supposed to be ready yet. I thought Apple was pretty much the only customer of regular N3.

And the micro-architecture could be Zen 4+? This wouldn't be unprecedented - I believe AMD had planned & cancelled releasing Zen 3+ on TSMC N6, for the desktop. If Zen 5 won't be ready until the latter part of 2024, then it would make sense for them to do a Zen 4 refresh. Maybe try to improve the thermal solution, while they're at it.

Mar 24, 2023
Kinda annoying, makes me think it's better to wait for this instead of getting the 7800x3d

Last edited:
Reactions: ottonis

hannibal

Distinguished
Kinda annoying, makes me think it's better to wait for this instead of getting the 7800x3d

There allways will be something better coming later. At one point you just have to pull the tricker!
If you don+t need new CPU now… don´t buy. After the AMD 8000 series is released… 9000 series is coming soon enough! And 9000 series will be better and faster. And so on and on…

Mar 24, 2023
There allways will be something better coming later. At one point you just have to pull the tricker!
If you don+t need new CPU now… don´t buy. After the AMD 8000 series is released… 9000 series is coming soon enough! And 9000 series will be better and faster. And so on and on…
You're right of course, but if the next gen is just half a year away...? Maybe I should just play tetris

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
I don't think Zen 5 will be named as Ryzen 8000. Instead, it should be Ryzen 9000.
Zen 3 Ryzen was 5000, Zen 3 Epyc was 7000. Now Zen 4 Became Ryzen 7000, Zen 4 Epyc 9000.
So logically thinking, Zen 5 should follow the same route and be Ryzen 9000.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're right of course, but if the next gen is just half a year away...? Maybe I should just play tetris
I've already said I doubt it's Zen 5, but that's based on extremely scant information. Even if it is, you need only look to how well the 5800X3D held up in gaming vs. the non-3D 7000-series to know that 7800X3D is probably a fairly safe buy.

However, what @hannibal said is (mostly) true. There are better and worse times to buy, but the best strategy tends to be waiting until you have a need and then buying the most appropriate product at that time. Sometimes, it'll be on the cusp of a new product launch and worth waiting just a little bit longer. Even if you are buying on the eve of a new launch, at least prices are usually discounted.

There is a possibility the next-generation chips that Gigabyte's referring to could be the rumored Zen 4 refresh (Zen 4+), though.

According to Gigabyte's wording that may not be the case. First of all, it says ‘next-generation’, which implies this could be the Zen5 architecture, IMO, and not a refresh like Zen 4+.

Why would a refresh be called as next-gen ? I mean it can, but next-gen most likely refers to a new series successor.

This same para also states the following,
"upgrade to the ‘Ryzen 7000 series successor", which is typically not a word to be used for series refresh like Zen4+, hence it could be the ZEN 5 platform. So these two terms, "upgrade", and "next generation" could be referring to the ZEN 5, though I'm not fully sure.

Just a guess. And yes, the next gen is codenamed as GRANITE RIDGE, Ryzen 8000 series, but this nomenclature is not set on stone. It could also be Ryzen 9000. AMD might make last moment changes before releasing the next-gen platform.

s9CjQ5y.png

AMD-Ryzen-8000-Desktop-Granite-Ridge-CPU-Strix-Point-APU-Families-With-Zen-5-and-Zen-4D-Cores.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: waltc3

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't think Zen 5 will be named as Ryzen 8000. Instead, it should be Ryzen 9000.
Very interesting observation, but I think it was more by happenstance.

Zen 3 Ryzen was 5000,
But that's because AMD got its APUs skewed by 1000 from the desktop CPUs with the same generation core, and jumped their desktop models from 3000 to 5000, in order to sync them up. Recall that 4000 was still Zen 2, just like 3000, except monolithic APU instead of chiplet-based.

6000 was Zen 3+ on N6, and originally meant to be both laptop + desktop. If they're not planning to do a Zen 4+, then there would be no need to skip the 8000.

Zen 3 Epyc was 7000. Now Zen 4 Became Ryzen 7000, Zen 4 Epyc 9000.
There's something else going on with the 9000-series branding, because all previous EPYCs were 7000, where the last digit was the generation. Probably, they wanted to differentiate it somehow from Begamo or Siena.

it says ‘next-generation’, which implies this could be the Zen5 architecture, IMO, and not a refresh like Zen 4+.
I wouldn't parse it that finely, but you could be right.

zecoeco

Prominent
BANNED
Sep 24, 2022
Very interesting observation, but I think it was more by happenstance.

But that's because AMD got its APUs skewed by 1000 from the desktop CPUs with the same generation core, and jumped their desktop models from 3000 to 5000, in order to sync them up. Recall that 4000 was still Zen 2, just like 3000, except monolithic APU instead of chiplet-based.

6000 was Zen 3+ on N6, and originally meant to be both laptop + desktop. If they're not planning to do a Zen 4+, then there would be no need to skip the 8000.

There's something else going on with the 9000-series branding, because all previous EPYCs were 7000, where the last digit was the generation. Probably, they wanted to differentiate it somehow from Begamo or Siena.

I wouldn't parse it that finely, but you could be right.
I can observe some inconsistency in naming, see the following:
Zen+ Ryzen 2000 For Desktop --> Ryzen 3000 For Laptops
Zen2 Ryzen 3000 For Desktop --> Ryzen 4000 For Laptops
Zen3 Ryzen 5000 For Desktop --> Ryzen 6000 For Laptops
Zen4 Ryzen 7000 For Desktop --> Ryzen 7000 For Laptops

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Yes, the wording in the blurb is very interesting because it's clear and seems concise. "This year" could well mean an announcement in November/December with a ship date in Jan/Feb '24. Then Zen 5 x3D variants coming in March & April '24, a year from now. I kind of lean towards Zen5, myself, because if they can do that, then a Zen4 refresh wouldn't be necessary. "Ryzen 7000 successor" sure sounds like Ryzen 8000 to me. If everything goes well this year then Ryzen 8000 it will be; if things get a bit dicey (tapeout & FAB) then we may see a Zen 4 refresh. AMD is putting the pedal to the metal--but then, they always do, imo.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Now that I'm reading the actual words, it does sound like Zen 5 desktop CPUs. AM5 desktop APUs were rumored to come out around then though.

September 2022 to December 2023 = 15 months. Even if it doesn't feel like it.

TSMC supposedly had multiple companies cancel orders across N7/N6/N5/N4 recently. Maybe that opened up N4 for Granite Ridge sooner than expected.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-nvidia-slash-orders-to-tsmc

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
Meanwhile my AM5 mobo (with most recent stable BIOS) still takes close to a minute to boot and enabling memory context restore causes instant BSOD.

Mar 15, 2023
Meanwhile my AM5 mobo (with most recent stable BIOS) still takes close to a minute to boot and enabling memory context restore causes instant BSOD.

Same. I'm not sure if that post time will ever be improved though. But then again, my first AM4 board had memory problems for the first year or two as well, and eventually everything worked as designed.

Reactions: Jaxstarke9977

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
However, what @hannibal said is (mostly) true. There are better and worse times to buy, but the best strategy tends to be waiting until you have a need and then buying the most appropriate product at that time. Sometimes, it'll be on the cusp of a new product launch and worth waiting just a little bit longer. Even if you are buying on the eve of a new launch, at least prices are usually discounted.

Spot on! Wait until you really need a new CPU and then decide which of the available ones would be most suitable for your needs.

Reactions: bit_user
You should UPDATE this article.

Gigabyte has clarified that the statement they made earlier in a PR about next-gen AMD Ryzen CPUs launching this year was a mistake.

Just a few days after their PR went live, Gigabyte has provided a response to TechRadar where the company confirms that the statement was incorrect and a simple error in the choice of words. Following is Gigabyte's reply on the matter:

In an email, Gigabyte spokespeson Liam Quinn confirmed the wording was a mistake, and that the company “do not know when the Ryzen 7000 successor will be released”, adding it will “make a comment on the press release to clarify but keep our original wording”.
via TechRadar

The following is the original and the latest statement from Gigabyte themselves:

Support for Future Generations of Processors (Original)

Even though these new products are entry-level servers, CPU support does not end here and the AM5 platform is supported until at least 2025. The next generation of AMD Ryzen desktop processors that will come out later this year will also be supported on this AM5 platform, so customers who purchase these servers today have the opportunity to upgrade to the Ryzen 7000 series successor.
Support for Future Generations of Processors (Updated)
Even though these new products are entry-level servers, CPU support does not end here and the AM5 platform is supported until at least 2025. The next generation of AMD Ryzen desktop processors will also be supported on this AM5 platform, so customers who purchase these servers today have the opportunity to upgrade to the Ryzen 7000 series successor. via Gigabyte