josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
GIGABYTE Claims World No. 1 Spot for Motherboard Durability

http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/306/7-series.html

Gigabyte z77's -
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=2&p=2&v=24

Henry Kao, Vice President of GIGABYTE Motherboard Business Unit says:

"With the launch of the first Ultra Durable motherboard in 2006, GIGABYTE revolutionized the motherboard industry by making quality the number one focus in our motherboard design. Five and a half years later, GIGABYTE maintains our leadership in quality design by equipping our upcoming 7 series motherboards with even more lifespan enhancing technologies in the form of Ultra Durable™ 4."

Gigabyte's GA-Z77X-UD3H and GA-Z77X-UD5H
http://vr-zone.com/articles/gigabyte-s-ga-z77x-ud3h-and-ga-z77x-ud5h-hands-on-pictures/15102.html

---

So, how accurate are all of these claims?

I would expect TweakTown, a Gigabyte pawn, to run such a story. I'd love to see ANY third party confirm their OPINION of themselves. I recall all the X58 problems, bad batches of B3 UD3, UD5 lines and most recently their LGA 2011 fiasco pulling most of their inventory after massive failures for a complete redesign.

From my seat Gigabyte is full of it!

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm reminded of:

Gigabyte X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Motherboard Review
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/12/28/gigabyte_x79ud5_lga_2011_motherboard_review/

"I wanted to like this board, I really did. Normally Gigabyte’s offerings are solid choices but the X79-UD5 feels like a rush job or a beta sample and not something that’s ready for retail. Gigabyte fans should check out the BIOS updates as they hit but I’d caution against buying the X79-UD5 as it stands now."

"We just can't suggest our readers consider using the X79-UD5 board at this time."

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/12/28/gigabyte_x79ud5_lga_2011_motherboard_review/7

I hope Gigabyte did a much better job with the z77's. Did they learn from their mistakes with the x79's?

The operative words here are "Gigabyte Claims...." I too have had issues with some Gigabyte boards (but not all; my wife's 790G is running fine). To me, they're in a neck-and-neck race for third place (along with MSI), well behind Asus and ASRock.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm not completely sure what you meant by "shock value," jaquith, but, I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge CPU's to come out so, I was seriously considering a Gigabyte z77 mobo. I'd really like to know which motherboard to get and which to stay away from. As an old guy, I'm totally reliant upon those who have hands on experience here for that info. I really wanted to know if those claims by Gigabyte were accurate.

I thought it was odd for Gigabyte to claim pole position for Motherboard Durability so, I thought it would be good to discuss it in order to separate the facts from fiction.

So, Asus and ASRock are the far better choices or what? I thought ASRock were a cheaper line of Asus like "equate" at the grocery store?

"To me, they're in a neck-and-neck race for third place (along with MSI), well behind Asus and ASRock."

By "place" you mean in sales or quality or ...?

As I said in your other post, wait for the testing and benchmarks and then IMO until there's a couple BIOS revisions + early adopters (Guinea Pigs) feedback i.e. Release Date + 1~2 months.

/edit - What I meant by shock value is it's like someone calling themselves 'Jesus' with no proof, i.e. megalomaniac statements.

I am constantly shaking my head at those who fall over themselves getting the first and very BUGGY BIOS or MOBO's then they're being confused at the problems.

There's no time machine or crystal balls. Trust me, I know all the guys here and other forums and there's no testing being done yet. I know the some of the nVidia GTX 600 series are being tested now and that's it. These folks get NDA's and won't tell me other then they've got some...no Z77's yet.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
^ That's what I thought, you were referring to Gigabyte's own claim of: "World No. 1 Spot for Motherboard Durability."

"I would expect TweakTown, a Gigabyte pawn, to run such a story."

I have already decided to take your advice from my other thread to wait a couple months for reviews and time to work out bugs before buying anything. I just can't risk getting a lemon.

What's an "NDA"?

So, there's currently not even any testing of z77's?

RussK1

Splendid

ARSrock has some nice one's coming~

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks malmental. Good to hear that you've got several Gigabyte mobos and haven't had any major issues. I'm still considering going with them for a z77 but, I'll wait for reviews. I assume, since you've not had any major issues that you've never had to deal with their customer support? How is their update system for their bios and drivers?

What do you think of Gigabyte's new Ultra Durable 4

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
My local computer store are the ones who suggested that I get a Gigabyte motherboard because he says they get the least amount of returns in his experience at his store. He also said that if he does have issues their support is really good. I have no way of verifying it though. Maybe they just have a account with Gigabyte and get a discount and therefore make more money - but again I don't know???

Imbajoe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Reading this right after having my GIGABYTE mobo have it's ram slots fail on me really throws salt in the wound. I can only hope the above post is right and they have have good support for RMA

Imbajoe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

I have a GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

As for the RMA'ing goes, I submitted my form on their site late on Thursday and got a response mid-day today. I don't know how much they look into that, but it nice to get a response in less than a day's time. Gonna get it shipped on Monday and see how it goes from there. If I remember when the time comes, I'll post an update on how it goes.

Imbajoe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010

So I sent in my motherboard and they received in on Wednesday the 11th and I recently got in back this past Thursday, 26th. When I sent it in the computer would always fail to boot if there was a stick of ram in the first slot on the motherboard. I put everything together on Friday and have been having no problems thus far with a stick of ram in the first slot.

Pros: Fast turnaround - I was expecting to receieve in sometime in early May, even though GIGABYTE's website listed an average 2-3 weeks turnaround upon receipt, I had read many personal reports of it taking much longer. So to get it back in my hands two weeks + one day after they received it was really nice. Also the packaging was nice, they double boxed it and had the motherboard in one of those anti-static bags, with the innermost box being that of one of their motherboard's, so it was nice and snug.

Cons: Lack of Communication - The entirety of GIGABYTE'S interaction with me during this whole process was sending me my RMA number after request, and emailing me on Tuesday/Wednesay saying they were done testing it and were sending it back. I couldn't find anywhere that I could check the status of my motherboard during the two weeks they had it, and upon receiving it, I got no message as far as what they found the problem to be, and how they went about fixing it. It's not a necessity, but it would have been nice.