News Gigabyte Confirms Avalanche of 20GB Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti, 12 GB RTX 3060 Cards

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Many different SKUs. Was no mention of volumes.

I hope vendors have got better at combating bots by now. I really want a 3080 ti 20G. No way I'll support scalpers though. I don't want anything that bad.

Reactions: Gurg

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
hopefully evga releases one in the next 60 days so i can make use of the stepup program.
I haven't had an evga card in years. I was unaware of this program so your post prompted me to look at it. That's a pretty darn cool purchase protection program.

I've been pretty happy with Gigabyte products lately but maybe it's time to revisit evga.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
There are no RTX 30xx cards, never has been. Why should I believe that? I've never seen one and don't know anyone who has.
Here's 78 3080's. God bless miners:

EqUjiP9XMAAi01X1.jpg.222d0329a9ee8298312443ef5e810cd3.jpg

I was able to land a 3070 on launch day. While picking up an order from Best Buy, I saw a 3090 on the pick up shelf. Nvidia's last quarterly results indicate there are a lot of 30xx cards out there. I hope to land a 3080Ti when they release.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
"But what makes these high-capacity cards interesting is their likelihood to stand up to the test of time."

Test of time is only two years until the next improved model arrives!
Two years into the future the next release most likely still won't deliver 144 FPS gaming average @ 4k.
Four years into the future the following release may have difficulty delivering 144 FPS gaming 99th percentile minimum @ 4k.

The test of time is: Are you willing to fork over $1500-2000 every two years?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020
are there any 3070 owners like me kinda confused and maybe even a little ticked by how they are dropping 3060 variants with better memory specs?

Reactions: PapaCrazy

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
are there any 3070 owners like me kinda confused and maybe even a little ticked by how they are dropping 3060 variants with better memory specs?

Not an owner, but it isn't right that a 3060 has more VRAM than a 3080/70. They need to fix the product stack.

Maybe if they didn't make so many variants. They could get more cards out the door by focusing on just one of each model. It's not like they wouldn't sell them all.

Their splintered and confusing lineup screams "we can't get it right the first time!" It turns me off as a customer.

Reactions: velocityg4

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Their splintered and confusing lineup screams "we can't get it right the first time!" It turns me off as a customer.
He wasn't talking about Nvidia. He was referring to individual AIB's that have like 10 3080 models and another 10 3070 models, etc. He's right about that. I don't know why they need to release so many different versions of the same card which all perform pretty much the same.

Reactions: bigdragon and Gurg
Not an owner, but it isn't right that a 3060 has more VRAM than a 3080/70. They need to fix the product stack.
This is like saying that Ford shouldn't be allowed to release turbo charged versions of the V6 Mustang that have 250HP after releasing a naturally aspirated version of the V8 that only has 225HP. Manufacturers can improve or release new models anytime they want, and users shouldn't feel slighted by this unless they paid more for the product they bought than what they felt it was worth at the time, in which case, that's their own fault.

If you paid a certain price for a certain product and you were happy with that purchase when you bought it, then that's it. Nothing that happens later should matter or be a factor for you. This is EXACTLY why we ALWAYS tell people to NOT buy hardware during the first couple months after it's been released, because there are GOING to be bugs in driver development at first, there are going to be some quality control or component quality issues that may need to be sorted out and there are going to be BETTER products that come out at the same price or less within the first few months after release. If you HAVE to have it NOW, then don't cry later when better options come around.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Well, it's like seeing an option for a silver Model T back in 1909. Unfortunately, you could only get it in black so no matter how good it looked it was irrelevant since you couldn't get one. Same thing here.

It's not much of a tease when you know you can't get one. Maybe at some point that will change, but for now, it's pretty much a truth, unless you don't mind paying double for one.

But what makes these high-capacity cards interesting is their likelihood to stand up to the test of time.
With raytracing being pushed as the next big thing, and these cards already being barely able to run RT in current games (even upscaled) at the resolutions people would expect them to run, I rather doubt they will "stand the test of time" particularly well. RT will become the norm for high/ultra graphics, and the cards launching a couple years from now will likely handle RT significantly better than the current models. So it's not like people are likely to ever fully utilize that extra VRAM while still running games at ultra. If one is turning down graphics settings to get playable performance, the extra VRAM is less likely to be needed.

They will undoubtedly launch another 3070, and probably another 3060 Ti with 16GB as well. Not that these cards actually need double the VRAM of the base models, but they can't just increase it by something like 50% without affecting performance due to the design of their memory system. It does give them an excuse to increase suggested pricing even if the added VRAM doesn't ever make much difference to performance though.

I feel bad for those who to date have (purchased) jumped through hoops for a 'base 3080' and now being teased with a much more powerful ti-version.
The 3080 Ti most definitely won't be "much more powerful" than the standard 3080. Even the 3090 is only 10-15% faster than a 3080 in games at 4K, with even less of a difference at lower resolutions. And even if the 3080 Ti maintains the same core configuration as the 3090, the reduced memory bandwidth due to the different VRAM configuration means performance will be somewhere in-between the two. So, expect the 3080 Ti to typically be no more than 10% faster than a 3080, if that, but expect the MSRP to be significantly higher. A $1000 MSRP would mean a price hike of over 40%, which might not be as bad of a value as the 3090, but still not good at all compared to the suggested pricing for the 3080 and below.