Gigabyte Debuts Aorus Brand With Dual GPU Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

You think?

At first glance, it seems this dual configuration of the 765m (128-bit interface @ 64GB/sec) is about as powerful as my desktop GTX 560Ti(256-bit interface @ 128GB/s). The graphics clock and cpu clock are pretty close also. Sure the 765m has twice the CUDA cores but it is strangled by the 128-bit memory interface. I would love to see some comparative numbers of this laptop vs.a desktop GTX 560Ti and maybe a desktop GTX 660.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
...you can't compare two different gpus only looking at memory bandwidth. True they have double the cores but the fermi had a different shader clock (2x multiplier if I remember). So given the same core clock they should almost be on par. Then again you have 2 different architecture and kepler is more efficient than fermi for single fp (games). On the math 765m>560ti. All that said I would have gone for a single 780m :-D

Anytime I see "gaming laptop" I just assume it is ready to be compared to desktop counterparts. I included graphics and cpu clocks in my comparison but I understand your point. Couldn't the two different architectures be mitigated by an older test platform such as..... Witcher 2? (DirectX 9 game)

Also, the math I am seeing doesn't add up to a single 765m > a single 560Ti... but two 765m in SLI, I will surely yield(disregarding architecture). Do you have numbers to support that? Just curious.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hi Skit, I don't think that using an older game as benchmark would mitigate the difference between the two architecture. Almost like when a new cpu architecture ups the ipc, you get the benefits everywhere. Didn't have time to actually look for real life results but a BAD and RAW way to have an idea of the shading performance is to multiply the core count for the shader clock. In this case 560ti = 384 x 1645 = 631680 and 765m = 768 x 850 = 652800 + kepler improvements. Even taking memory bandwidth into account I shouldn't be too much off, I'd give a small advantage to the 765m in normal gaming but not by much.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
just did some research on the GTX 765M and notice one of the many reasons why it is on SLI and that is for games like Battlefield 4 which the card on the laptop if it wasnt in SLI wouldnt be able to play on ultra setting rather to get the 60 fps you would need to play on a mix of medium and high settings

That is right inline with my experience in the GTX 560Ti and what Blazer1985 mentioned. I can only hit 60FPS on medium settings. BF4 is playable on high settings with my 560Ti setup but my max FPS is about 42-45 using the ingame FPS monitor.... when it dips this low the overlay changes red. On medium, the overlay is yellow and FPS hovers in the 48-60 range.

quikslyver

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
not adding an optical drive is not quite as dumb as putting a dvd player in a 1080p machine, but it's still dumb enough i won't consider it. sure you can get an external, but who wants to drag an extra piece of hardware around when they could have just put it inside?!? Blaming it on having 2 vid cars and 3 hard drives? like someone said, just put one better vid card in... or who really needs raid ssd's? like one ssd isn't enough of a performance increase by itself? Not me, that's who; but maybe it's just me. I love to game, but if they automatically make it so i can't simply pop in a Blu-ray into my $2,000+ entertainment machine, i'll just look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.