Question Gigabyte Designare Z390 m2 too slow with adapter

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello

I have a Gigabyte Designare Z390:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10/sp#sp

I also have a Rivo Dual M.2 SATA III and M2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 X4 Adapter Card - Add M.2 SSD Devices to PC or Motherboard, Supports 1 M.2 SATA III (B Key) SSD and Second M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSD (M-Key):

I have my third m2 SSD drive plugged into this Rivo adapter.
The sequential read is around 1677.99 MB/s which is about half the speed I expected (when it was plugged into one of the dedicated slots in the motherboard it was around double that).

So how can I improve the speed here?

I notice the Rivo card I bought is only "X4", should I have bought an X8? If so can anybody recommend me a card please? (I can't see any).

Maybe I can do something in the BIOS? Please check BIOS screenshot below.
The Rivo adapter is in the PCIEX8 slot (the PCIEX16 slot has my Nvidia Geforce 1070 card). I'm on the latest BIOS firmware BTW.

Thanks...

BIOS.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
Hello

I have a Gigabyte Designare Z390:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10/sp#sp

I also have a Rivo Dual M.2 SATA III and M2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 X4 Adapter Card - Add M.2 SSD Devices to PC or Motherboard, Supports 1 M.2 SATA III (B Key) SSD and Second M.2 PCIe 3.0 SSD (M-Key):

I have my third m2 SSD drive plugged into this Rivo adapter.
The sequential read is around 1677.99 MB/s which is about half the speed I expected (when it was plugged into one of the dedicated slots in the motherboard it was around double that).

So how can I improve the speed here?

I notice the Rivo card I bought is only "X4", should I have bought an X8? If so can anybody recommend me a card please? (I can't see any).

Maybe I can do something in the BIOS? Please check BIOS screenshot below.
The Rivo adapter is in the PCIEX8 slot (the PCIEX16 slot has my Nvidia Geforce 1070 card). I'm on the latest BIOS firmware BTW.

Thanks...

BIOS.jpg
I think it is the adapter. An X4 is typically associated with one M.2 NVMe. With an X4 card, and no obvious PCIe switch, I believe they just split the 4 lanes between the two slots and each slot is running an X2 interface. I think CrystalDiskInfo will show the interface width and confirm my hypotheses .

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks.

I shall check out that software.

FYI only one M2 is plugged in (nothing else).

One of the reviews on Amazon said they achieved speed over GB/s.

Also the description says:
"1 M.2 Device (M key) to run via PCI-E interface, up to 32 Gbps"

I see what you are saying though. Thx!

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hmm maybe I need to toggle this setting?
I may lose 2% speed of my NVIDIA 1070 card.(apparently) which will probably break Flight Simulator 2020 ;)

bios.png

Or maybe try other slots?