Question Gigabyte - difference between models within range?

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
A stupid question... I know it is... but.....

I'm possibly back in the market for a 40 series GPU - either a 4080 or a 4070Ti (edging towards the 4080 though)

In the Gigabyte range, what's the difference between the models? (except Waterforce - I think I get that one! though not sure I have space for another radiator)

I'm guessing (Waterforce >) Aorus > Aero > Gaming > Eagle, but... what's the difference?

I mean the Aorus has an LCD display and lighting - is that the only difference between that and the Aero - which is white and has different cooling and fans but only a lit edge graphic, which is different to the Gaming which has led fans but no lcd, which is different to Eagle, which is just a card? Are they different in any meaningful way other than effectively lighting? I get some of them might have a slight factory overclock, but they're all 16Gb (or 12 for the 4070Ti) GDDR6X?

(and I know other ranges are the same, so I guess same applies)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Mostly heatsink size (length/slot width), boost clock maximum (default), and features like RGB and stuff.

Aorus Master -> Aorus Elite -> Gaming /Aero-> Eagle

Aero is basically just a white version of the gaming card.

Larger cards should run cooler, boost higher, and potentially be quieter for the same level of performance. Trade off is size.

Boost clock is almost meaningless these days. GPU boost is dynamic and will be controlled by temperature and power. Generally the higher up the range you go the higher you can set the power limit as well, but Nvidia is pretty strict, so don't expect more than 13-20% over stock, and the performance gains are minimal for a lot more heat output.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Thanks - that helps. My motherboard (Z790) and current GPU (3070Ti) are Aorus Master, but the Aero would go well with the rest of my setup (mostly white) but didn't want to feel like I was missing out on a massive performance or significant noise / cooling difference. I didn't think I was, and you've probably just confirmed. Also saves me a wee bit of money, though wasn't the main consideration and not a lot in the grand scheme of things! :D

I usually recommend against the top tier branding (in this case, Auros), because they tend to cost significantly more than the other brandings but don't offer that much performance relatively speaking. So for example, the 4070 Ti Eagle is $850 USD, but the Auros Master is $950 (up to $1000 in one store), which is about a 10% difference in cost. But you're not going to see a 10% increase in performance anywhere.

They're mostly there for people who want to be in the first page of 3DMark's leaderboard.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Thanks - not a target I'm aiming for! :D And the price differences seem quite a bit larger in the UK as well, which I think probably makes you think there are significant differences! But then I never thought I'd be the person thinking or caring that "ooo a white graphics card would look good in my PC." How have I become that person?? :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 2838871

Aero is basically just a white version of the gaming card.

... and that's what sold me on it. Didn't even look at the specs... it was white... just like my case.

(The performance is amazing though... a jawdropping improvement over the 3090)

But then I never thought I'd be the person thinking or caring that "ooo a white graphics card would look good in my PC." How have I become that person?? :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the club. I could care less about RGB... the white on black is just beautiful.

(y)

Reactions: James Blonde

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Gigabyte makes a number of black and white boards, so they are wise to sell a white card. Most of the other brands have stopped.

ASUS (Which has a line of white motherboards as well) and Zotac make white cards as well. Pretty much out of luck if you want a high end AMD card though. Sapphire does have one 6950XT that I hadn't seen previously, but the only other white late model AMD card is a Powercolor 6650XT.

I have the Vision series from Gigabyte motherboard, but I just water cool anyway, so cooler color isn't that important.

Reactions: James Blonde

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Oh no.... it was the gin..... it wasn't me..... it.... it was an.... accident..... it just fell in my basket!

I mentioned the gin, right?

I mean if my wife asks, it was only £100 in the sale, right? right? You'll cover for me? won't you?