Gigabyte dvi to d-sub = How can this be true?

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
With reference to the "current" crop of gigabyte motherboards such as the GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3, the owner's manual in a note says that the dvi connector does not support a d-sub adapter. Can that possibly be true? And if so how? I thought the adapter was nothing more than the wires being "bent" into the different plug shape? Ok, maybe some wires left out and others doubled or whatever but just a very mechanical sort of adapter plug. If that is true, how could the connector not support the adapter?

Restated, if the note is true, this means in order to run dual monitors I would have to get a second monitor with a dvi or hdmi connector.

Just seems like an error in the manual, but I can't ignore it. Requesting confirmation and explanation if there is any?

Thanks.

Edit: PS--and assuming the above is true, does this mean that the same issue may be present in all other similar motherboards and even video cards? I am typing this message on a dual head video card that uses a dvi to d-sub adapter that CAME WITH THE CARD. I have not yet noticed a video card that has such an adapter as part of the package. Are they saving money or just not providing a part that doesn't work? (smile--again, thanks==I want dual if not triple monitors in my next build!)

bilbat

Splendid
It may be that the graphics core only supoports a single stream. I'm 'AMD illiterate', and the manual doesn't say (at least, so far as I've found yet...) which graphics core the 880G carries - when I find out, I'll post back.

My complaint about AMD has always been that there has been little or no documentation available. This has changed in the last couple or six months - they've got scads of stuff up, and it's still a matter of 'where' - and Intel is the same - it's just that after years of scrabbling around, I've learned where Intel keeps most junk I'm looking for. They're probably on about an equal footing, now, in that department - Intel have changed around a lot of their documentation sites and structures, making it all equally difficult! [:isamuelson:8]

I heartily support your enthusiasm for monitors:
screenssmall.jpg

They're one of the best productivity enhancers available...

I know that the latest crop of Intel second-gen iCores support two streams; I'm not sure about the last batch of 1156's, as none of the guys I've built 'em for were interested in two monitors; I do know that the G31/41 775's did not support two...

As a by the way - I use UltraMon for monitor management (highly recommended), and they used to have a spot where folks could publish pics of their strange setups:
962q.jpg

964g.jpg

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks Bilbat

I'm just a home grown hobbyist but I understand the spec for this board is that it will run two monitors using either the d-sub PLUS EITHER the dvi connected via a dvi cable to a dvi capable monitor ((hard not to find these days but will have to get the cable)) or to a monitor connected thru the hdmi. The hdmi and dvi working in an either/or combo is very common and understandable. What is not understandable, for the reasons I gave, is why you can't use a dvi to d=sub adapter as it is only a physical adapter--aka--no electonics involved or no transcoding etc. I "care" because right now I don't have a monitor with a dvi connector==but the science of it is interesting too. I tend "not to believe this" but an explanation would resolve it. I will buy the board anyway and buy a monitor too if that is the final solution. As you say---Who can't use more monitors?

There must be many out there with this or similar gigabyte board who have the d-sub adapter? Yes, I'm getting very comfortable with my next build. Always new issues to work thru, and some like this, a puzzler.

My final build will be a dual monitor for computer use/web surfing with a Media Player driving my HDTV--in essence a triple monitor set up without the need for a separate video card. Should be sweet. Technology marches on. Never made any sense you had to "disable on board video" in order to add video. What nonsense that was.

bobbo123

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Well, I just read and remembered something: d-sub is an analogue connector while dvi is a digital signal. That fact means a simple physical adapter really shouldn't work at all so How am I typing this post? In what looks like just a physical plug, the adapter must have some circuitry that is powered by the dvi connector? And for some god awful reason Gigabyte decided to not offer this legacy feature? How thoughtful of them. So, my "original" main concern has been answered==there is some electrical mystery taking place within that adapter for it to connect a d-sub monitor to a dvi source and Gigabyte is simply not offering that option.

I think I'm right, at least it is "logical." If you know/think I'm wrong==please post your ideas. for now I accept I will have to buy a dvi monitor if I want to go dual monitor off these new Gigabyte Boards.