Question Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR (rev. 1.0) Intel Xeon E5450 (775-pin) modded upgrade BIOS flash question

ipherendv

Commendable
Sep 5, 2017
So, I am planning to buy a 775-pin modded Xeon E5450 for my Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR (rev. 1.0) motherboard and I found a modded bios for this motherboard. They claim that the microcode has been added in the BIOS. There is also a screen shot of this CPU running with this motherboard in the site I found the BIOS mod.

My question is, -this system has a Core 2 Duo E8500 right now- I wonder if I will be able to continue using this CPU in case something happens. I would not like to brick the motherboard.
Would I be able to revert back the old BIOS if anything goes wrong?

Basically I want to know whether I will be able to use my own CPU with this modded BIOS. I am a newbie when it comes to modded upgrades and I'd like to know more.

Thank you.

Note: I can not change the motherboard/cpu for anything else.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
So, I am planning to buy a 775-pin modded Xeon E5450 for my Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR (rev. 1.0) motherboard and I found a modded bios for this motherboard. They claim that the microcode has been added in the BIOS. There is also a screen shot of this CPU running with this motherboard in the site I found the BIOS mod.

My question is, -this system has a Core 2 Duo E8500 right now- I wonder if I will be able to continue using this CPU in case something happens. I would not like to brick the motherboard.
Would I be able to revert back the old BIOS if anything goes wrong?

Basically I want to know whether I will be able to use my own CPU with this modded BIOS. I am a newbie when it comes to modded upgrades and I'd like to know more.

Thank you.

Note: I can not change the motherboard/cpu for anything else.
Unknown. That BIOS is made by somebody in their living room. Who knows what they had to modify or overwrite to add the Xeon support.

Reactions: ipherendv

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
I did a similar thing to my EP45-UD3R. I just followed the instructions here: https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

If the microcode you put in includes both your old and new CPU, you should be able to switch between your CPUs just fine. To be more specific, if you select the "Desktop LGA 771 and LGA 775 microcode" here: https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-xeon-microcode/#microcodes, while building your "new" BIOS, your motherboard should be able to recognize both LGA 775 and 771 CPUs. I did my own BIOS hack, sourcing files from Gigabyte's official BIOS and Intel for the microcodes. The only third-party software I used were open-sourced tools to replace the microcodes in the .BIN files.

It's just unfortunate I didn't document my own process.