Gigabyte EP45-UD3P problem with the reset button!

tcuong

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
hi guys, can you please help me with this:

I got my new EP45-UD3P and hooked it with my old components (6 months old), I noticed the CPU fan does not start as soon as I press the Power button, but a few seconds later. however, the system seems to perform well, but there were some problems:

- When I pressed the Reset button, the CPU fan also started later this time, and when it starts, the system shuts down, a few seconds after that, the system starts and shuts, and starts and shuts continuously. I had to unplug my PSU and pluged it in again, start the system, and it turned on just fine. the problem is that when I use the reset button, the above thing repeats.

- I used Everest 5.02 (cracked) and it cannot identify my mainboard, while other softwares such as CPU-Z and PCWizard can.

I checked my installations and noted:
- I only got 1x4pin power plugged into the mainboard (other than the 24pin), while the board seemed to require 8pin.
- My Power and Reset pins were connected properly to the buttons (white wires as negative pins).
- My CPU, RAM and VGA seemed to perform well (checked via CPU-Z and GPU-Z)

Can you guys please advise me whether I got anything wrong about this, and whether I need to check other components (in fact, I re-hooked my system alreasy)?

Thank you very much in advance.

bilbat

Splendid
- I only got 1x4pin power plugged into the mainboard (other than the 24pin), while the board seemed to require 8pin.
This depends on the CPU you are using - post back CPU type, and I will advise...

- My Power and Reset pins were connected properly to the buttons (white wires as negative pins).
Neither of these headers needs to observe any polarity - both are simply SPST momentary pushbuttons that connect the two header pins when depressed...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (flip the MOBO to check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked - while you have it out, check carefully that every brass standoff corresponds to a mounting hole in the board - an extra standoff will cause trouble, and can ruin the MOBO)
one stick of RAM, in slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power, graphics card power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition

tcuong

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hi Bilbat, thanks for your reply.

I am using an E8500, and supposedly, it doesn't require an 8-pin, rite?

I have checked carefully and my CPU and CPU fan were properly installed. I have re-install everything but still kept the 2 sticks of ram and did not touch the RST_CMOS pins, instead, I cleared the CMOS and set it to default to boot. After the normal boot, I customized the BIOS and CMOS and from then on, the Reset has been working properly, but I wonder whether this error will occur in the future.

Can you plz also advise me on the Everest error, which showed "unknown mainboard" next to the Mainboard line?

bilbat

Splendid
I am using an E8500, and supposedly, it doesn't require an 8-pin, rite?
That is a sixty-five watt processor, you should be good to go with only one 2x2ATX12V plug...

Can you plz also advise me on the Everest error, which showed "unknown mainboard" next to the Mainboard line?
I don't use Everest, so cannot advise directly, but I am not surprised by a discrepancy - it is an eternal on-going struggle for utility writers (SpeedFan, HWMonitor, CPU-Z, et al) to keep up with the continual onslaught of new boards - and they are always on the losing end! Gigabyte had 125 different MOBOs for the Intel socket 775 alone, last time I counted, and they are just one of the medium sized manufacturers!

stasio

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007

Update to latest 5.02.1823