Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Not Posting (Continuous Beeps)

dakoscwash

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
First of all I would like to say thank you to the community as I always get tons of great help.

I just received all my parts for a new build for a friend yesterday, and put it all together. They are as follows:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) (2.0-2.1v)
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 PSU
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 Case
Windows XP SP2C 64-bit

So I installed everything properly, I am sure of this. All power cables are connected and the headers work fine. All case fans, power supply and heatsink fans spin up when powered on. So I installed the RAM in slots 1 and 3, powered the computer up and received no video signal on the monitor (no POST). This was accompanied by 23 short beeps, that repeat after a short interval. After looking around I found that this could be a RAM issue. So I moved the DIMMs to slots 2 and 4 and it posted. It began the initial stage of installing windows and then decided to BSOD. So I made sure the timings and voltages were correct in BIOS, then tested one stick at a time. The first slot still did not post. All remaining slots posted but stopped after "Verifying DMI Pool Data, success." The second stick of RAM had the exact same results. This leads me to believe that it is a problem with the first motherboard RAM slot, but I am not sure. What is the proper course of action here. I only have about a week to finish this and if I have to RMA something I have to do it soon. So I'm really looking for the easiest way to verify the problem, or if possible fix it somehow. I don't have another machine that I can test anything on, btw. This is incredibly frustrating, help would be greatly appreciated!

dakoscwash

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hmm. After correcting the voltage the Ram is working in slots 2 and 4 and installing windows. If it turns out that there are no problems running the ram in these slots, should I still RMA since I can't get the first one to work. I don't think I'll be adding any more ram to this build ever but it does feel kind of dirty knowing there maybe be a defective slot on the mobo. What do you think?