Gigabyte Expands Xtreme Gaming Series With GTX 970, 980, 980 Ti, Titan X Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, maybe it's past my bedtime but why don't I understand this

Gigabyte didn’t provide an MSRP for the GTX Titan X Xtreme Gaming card. The company said Asus and EVGA have exclusive rights to variations of the GTX Titan X cards in North America.

How did they make a variation of the other 2 guys have exclusive rights ?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I find it od that the 980 have higher clocks than the 980Ti version. also why is the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming WINDFORCE Edition
version on the graph twice with the same exact specs?

tiagoluz8

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
I find it od that the 980 have higher clocks than the 980Ti version. also why is the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming WINDFORCE Edition
version on the graph twice with the same exact specs?

One is WINDFORCE, the other WATERFORCE, read slowly.

Blush

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
I was odering new parts this morning but the payment didn't process properly, now that i know theres a new line of gigabyte GPU's on the way i might just hold out a little longer. I hope they announce a release date as soon as possible.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I'm a bit surprised the clocks on the 980 are so low compared to rival factory oc'd models. My EVGA SC ACX 2.0 already has 1266 base, 1367 boost. Surely Gigabyte, with such a large cooler, could have used way higher defaults and still have low noise?

Low base?
To attempt to answer that, I'll just guess that keeping the SHIPPED speed lower than it could be on further overclock decreases the number of people who have problems. Less quality issues, less returns and complaints about Gigabyte.

Obviously you can overclock, so deciding what frequencies to ship at is a game of binning, reliability, sales volume etc

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I guess my point is, with such a huge cooler, why make the base clock so low? Surely that's the whole point of their massive cooler, it means the card can cope with a much higher clock and still be quiet, so I don't get why they'd only set it at 1241. Doesn't exactly imply any special binning if they can't ship it with a decent clock to begin with. And I don't see any link between the speed & problems, by definition someone overclocking the card beyond its limits to the point of failure is responsible for the failure, not Gigabyte.

The implication of the branding is that these cards are special for overclocking, in which case they should at least come with a base that's better than standard factory oc'd cards from other vendors. It's slower than the EVGA which has one less fan. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.