Question Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 Rev 1.1 VRMs

Singularity2

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
I've recently been messing around with my older system to see if I can solve the VRM issue I seem to be having on this board. The CPU it's paired with is an AMD Athlon X4 860K.

CPU will simply throttle (1.7GHz) even when CPU temps don't look horrible. I originally thought it was my CPU cooler as the manufacturer was using an Alpine GT 64 Rev 2 to cool the CPU at 4.2GHz (what they set it as). Temps didn't look great on the CPU side if I'm honest so I immediately disabled that OC and ran stock for a long time. I applied some undervolt as well to lower temps even more.

Today I finally decided to upgrade its cooler to a Cryorig M9a. Results (CPU temp readings) were much better overall, especially under heavy load. As I was feeling confident with this cooler, I bumped the speed to 4GHz. This is a speed I have never been able to maintain on this board because the CPU would just throttle very quickly under any stress test and even heavy load in summer. It would do this when margins hit about 20-10c on the older cooler.

I put my voltages back to default (1.368v on this board) to see what would happen at this speed since I got a new cooler. Lo and behold, the CPU throttled after about 1min30sec under OCCT load. Thermal margins were around 30c at this time and looking rather stable. I dialled down the voltage to 1.284v and it stopped throttling. It then ran for a further 3 and a half hours and maintained about 37-39c thermal margins.

My question is:

Is there anything I can do to solve the VRM problem? It is limiting the CPU I believe.

Should I have directed my CPU cooler fan towards the VRMs? It's currently facing towards the RAM. I assume the VRMs are those big black/grey-looking things I see on the opposite side of the RAM.

I installed an Arctic F12 fan on the side panel acting as an intake thinking it might help cool them, but it doesn't look like it helped.

Lutfij

Titan
You shouldn't be at those voltages. If anything you should be at or below 1.25v for that processor for long term computing. You can keep the VRM's cool but over time the high voltages will kill that power delivery and the processor as well.

To add, that board wasn't meant/designed for overclocking due to the lack of a heatsink around the power delivery area.
20150216153002_src.jpg

Singularity2

Honorable
Oct 5, 2015
Hmm. Any idea why my board defaults to 1.368v then? I have to use AMD Overdrive to lower the voltage as the BIOS doesn't permit undervolting. I can only add more volts.

I will have to lower the volts some more soon to see what happens. I do recall the CPU freezing under stress tests if I tried 1.25v at 4GHz.