[SOLVED] Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2 - Fan Headers & AIO cooler

Jan 11, 2022
Hey folks,

I'm planning on buying a EK 360 AIO to replace my very old Corsair H80 (its been running for ... ~10 years and has started to rattle), and have a few questions about the fan headers on my motherboard (Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2). The AIO as I can see requires one 4-pin PWM header for the three fans (with an included 3-way splitter), which I assume will be plugged into CPU_FAN? (see image 1 below) and one 4-pin PWM for the pump itself. The issue I'm seeing (need claification on this) is that my motherboard only has one 4-pin pwm header (CPU_FAN) and the rest are, according to the manual, 3-pin with one in reserve (image 1)?

So my question is, can I just plug the AIO pump into one of those 3-pin* FAN# headers and set the fan control to "Disabled - Allows the CPU fan to run at full speeds." in the bios (see image 2)? Which will run the pump at 100% I assume, while letting me use the CPU_FAN header for the radiator fans (with pwm control).

Another slightly related question, is it safe to run 3 fans off a splitter into the one CPU_FAN header?

Image 1 (Fan Pins)

G3akxlt.png

Image 2 (Fan Control)

7POQZGL.png

Solution
Just to update, I ended up buying the EK 360 AIO and it works fine. Figured I would give the answers to some of my questions in case someone else has similar questions in the future and happens apon this thread.

Couldn't edit original post with update so just replying instead, hope thats alright.

The issue I'm seeing (need claification on this) is that my motherboard only has one 4-pin pwm header (CPU_FAN) and the rest are, according to the manual, 3-pin with one in reserve (image 1)?

The 4-pin CPU_FAN header on this specific motherboard is PWM controlled and the other "4-pin" FAN# headers are 3-pin + reserve (unused(?)), so I setup fans controlled via 4-pin (for fan pwm control so fans arent...
Jan 11, 2022
Just to update, I ended up buying the EK 360 AIO and it works fine. Figured I would give the answers to some of my questions in case someone else has similar questions in the future and happens apon this thread.

Couldn't edit original post with update so just replying instead, hope thats alright.

The issue I'm seeing (need claification on this) is that my motherboard only has one 4-pin pwm header (CPU_FAN) and the rest are, according to the manual, 3-pin with one in reserve (image 1)?

The 4-pin CPU_FAN header on this specific motherboard is PWM controlled and the other "4-pin" FAN# headers are 3-pin + reserve (unused(?)), so I setup fans controlled via 4-pin (for fan pwm control so fans arent at 100% and loud) and pump via one of the 3-pin (since its recommended to run the pump at 100% at all times anyway).

So my question is, can I just plug the AIO pump into one of those 3-pin* FAN# headers and set the fan control to "Disabled - Allows the CPU fan to run at full speeds." in the bios (see image 2)? Which will run the pump at 100% I assume, while letting me use the CPU_FAN header for the radiator fans (with pwm control).

Pump works fine connected to one of the 3-pin headers BUT I had to set fan control to Disabled in the bios so it would run at 100% (otherwise it would have been speed controlled via voltage and I have read that isnt recommended for pumps). As for the fans, using a 3-way splitter worked just fine and pwm control worked on the CPU_FAN header.

Another slightly related question, is it safe to run 3 fans off a splitter into the one CPU_FAN header?

Contacted Gigabyte in regards to the G1.Assassin 2, and they clarified that the fan headers on this board are 12V / 1A which is enough for my use case (EK AIO 360 - fans 0.18A each and pump 0.65 +- 10%)

Solution