Question Gigabyte G31M-S2L - Success Bios update - black screen

ghgh1

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Hello folks,
Yesterday I took my old 775 Gigabyte MB and I bought new CPU(Xeon E5450) in order to bring new life to that old machine.
I tried to put the cpu in the MB, and it recognized it but the machine has shut down and it never succeeded to post the OS screen.
So I put my old e5200 cpu inside and it post successfully, but ofc - slow.

I saw that I have old bios version - 4f, so I flash the newest 10f version on it with qFlash.
The bios flash has passed successfully but after I did a restart it shows me black screen, no beeps no signal on screen. Nothing.
I tried to reset bios by taking the cmos battery out and touch the clr_cmos pins with a flat electricity screwdriver - non of the options has been worked.
I’m out of ideas, I’ll appreciate any kind of help to fix that issue.
Many thanks.

ShadeSlayer812

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015
BIOS flashes are notoriously dangerous, considering that the BIOS is stored on a ROM chip. Considering you are dealing with a completely dead system right after flashing, I am relatively sure your BIOS chip is messed up after the flash. The ROM chip is soldered on so this cannot be fixed.

However, please run a quick idiot check. Make sure your PSU is on and plugged in, etc.

ghgh1

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Thanks for your response.
Yes the PSU is on, of course. The pc is turn on but the screen remains off and no regular beep as it was before the update.
The weird thing is that the qflash has succeeds without any issue and now the pc won’t doing post or screen signal.