Question Gigabyte G5 MD laptop - - - Lack of DLSS support in the official drivers ?

Jan 20, 2024
Hello,

I created this topic because I don't know if I missed something obvious or if the laptop I bought is just a regular scam.

I purchased the Gigabyte G5 MD about a year ago, brand new from a store. The official website of the company boasts that the RTX 3050 Ti GPU used in this model supports, among other things, DLSS. The problem is that the drivers provided by the manufacturer on their website (released in 2021, by the way) don't allow for this!

So, I installed the official drivers for this graphics card from the Nvidia website. The result? Games crash after about 10 minutes of play. Cyberpunk 2077 performed the best, running relatively stable for a longer period. Civilization 6 performed the worst, unable to even load the map. I tried about 15 versions of official Nvidia drivers, with no visible difference in stability.

In short, it seems that users of this model have two scenarios:

• Use drivers provided by Gigabyte, which lack the functionality that the company advertises for this laptop model.
  • Use drivers provided by Nvidia, practically making gaming on this laptop impossible.
NOWHERE on the internet have I come across any mention of this situation.

Below is a screenshot from the official Gigabyte website:
image.png.775e517316da5acd1e4e71bb2ed1ce25.png

I'm curious about your opinions on this matter. Have you also encountered similar issues, and if so, how did you manage to resolve them? Have a great weekend!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The problem is that the drivers provided by the manufacturer on their website (released in 2021, by the way) don't allow for this!
You don't use drivers off the laptop manufacturer's site if the drivers found on Nvidia's site are functional(doesn't throw up an error/induce instability).

I would first look at updating the BIOS for your laptop. Following that, download the latest drivers for your GPU from this site;
Then use DDU to remove all GPU(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) drivers, then manually install the latest GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Reactions: toriyamaru
Jan 20, 2024
Thanks for help. I did exactly like you said and so far (I ran a graphics benchmark in civ 6) it seems to be working. I had an old version of bios FB08, so I updated to FB09. Then i purged every driver with DDU (didn't realize I would have AMD drivers on my machine despite not having any AMD components). Then I installed newest driver for geforce ONLY. So here's follow-up question: Should I install Intel gpu driver as well? Can it interfere with geforce somehow? I noticed that without it, some windows features don't work, e.g. Night light and I like using it. And if yes, should I install Intel driver before, or after Geforce?

Last edited:
Reactions: pilardagua
Apr 27, 2024
Thanks for help. I did exactly like you said and so far (I ran a graphics benchmark in civ 6) it seems to be working. I had an old version of bios FB08, so I updated to FB09. Then i purged every driver with DDU (didn't realize I would have AMD drivers on my machine despite not having any AMD components). Then I installed newest driver for geforce ONLY. So here's follow-up question: Should I install Intel gpu driver as well? Can it interfere with geforce somehow? I noticed that without it, some windows features don't work, e.g. Night light and I like using it. And if yes, should I install Intel driver before, or after Geforce?
Sorry for the inconvenience, I have the same laptop and if you would be so kind as to tell me how you were able to do all that.

Last edited: