Gigabyte GA-73vm-s2 and intel core 2 E8400

Jan 11, 2019
Trying to install Intel core 2 E8400 chip in old motherboard. Computer starts up. Windows try's to start then alarm buzzer goes off and everything shuts down. Case and CPU fans running. Not sure if I need to upgrade BIOS or if that is the problem. I know this is old stuff but just trying to see if this would make it any faster. Old BIOS is 10/31/2007 with version 2.4. Gigabyte site shows this chip will work with this motherboard. Thanks for any help.

Solution
That CPU is offered with two different core revisions with changes that are referred to as a core stepping,

They are E0 which requires BIOS version F4D and C0 which works since BIOS version F1.
You might examine the numbers printed on the top of the CPU to determine the stepping.
Core steppings
C0 (Q9HD, SLAPL)
E0 (QHEZ, QHGG, SLB9J

For your information, Gigabyte does not list a "BIOS version 2.4" for the GA-73VM-S2.
That CPU is offered with two different core revisions with changes that are referred to as a core stepping,

They are E0 which requires BIOS version F4D and C0 which works since BIOS version F1.
You might examine the numbers printed on the top of the CPU to determine the stepping.
Core steppings
C0 (Q9HD, SLAPL)
E0 (QHEZ, QHGG, SLB9J

For your information, Gigabyte does not list a "BIOS version 2.4" for the GA-73VM-S2.

Solution
Jan 11, 2019

My mistake. I have version F1. From what I can read it looks like "SLAPL". So I guess its "CO"
So what you are telling me it should run with version 1. Thanks for your help.
Took CPU out and reset chip again with more temp paste. Fired right up. Thanks for taking time to tell me about the different chips. Faster than with the old chip. Not fast but faster than it was for $30.00.