[SOLVED] gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Hello guys,
I recently got a MSI gtx 1060 6GB from a gift.
And I have a gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 motherboard.
My CPU fx 4350 is not able to handle the gtx 1060.
Like am low on budget so I am getting a fx 8350 at a very cheap rate from market.
Will my motherboard gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 be able to handle a fx 8350 with gtx 1060 .
I just want to buy a fx 8350 for a year then I'll upgrade the whole PC, so will my motherboard handle the CPU or it will bottleneck.
My Ram is 16GB ddr3.(dual channel)
I play games like battlefield v, GTA v, pubg, fortnite, apex legends.
I mean all the new games.
And wht will be A good cheap fan under 40$ which can cool my fx8350 while it is oc.

Solution
Agree to disagree.

I don't believe everything I read from a vendor's website especially when I've had first-hand experience with multiple combos of this exact setup. My advice is based on experience not "some people made it work for a while" heresay.

I won't post in this thread anymore cause I feel we're going to go in circles.

Good luck

mgallo848

Commendable
No.

IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT WORK WITH THAT MOTHERBOARD.

The best you can use with that board is an FX 6300.

I've built several PC's for others using that board. It only has a 4+1 phase for CPU power. You need a board that has 8+2 phase for the FX 8000+ CPU's.

mgallo848

Commendable
No it won't

I have 2 of those boards sitting behind me as I type this. One even has an 8320e sitting in it. It will only run at base speed, no turbo speeds.
I've even tested this (one more than one setup) by disabling 2 core and ran it as a 6 core FX 6100. I was able to get it to 3.9 on 6 cores but it would not pass Prime95 after 10 minutes.

Please google AMD 8+2 phase and 4+2 phase and you'll see what I'm referring to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbbi8k2xrjc8pj8/20190313_000529.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
I'm quite familiar with the problems, which why I stated it will be plagued with VRM throttling which is the most common problem I've seen with the 125w FXs and AM3+ boards with weak vrm setups.

However your statement of "it absolutely will not work" is false. The CPU is technically supported. https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=4305

However it is a combo that is known to be problematic and is not a recommended configuration.

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
I'm quite familiar with the problems, which why I stated it will be plagued with VRM throttling which is the most common problem I've seen with the 125w FXs and AM3+ boards with weak vrm setups.

However your statement of "it absolutely will not work" is false. The CPU is technically supported. https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=4305

However it is a combo that is known to be problematic and is not a recommended configuration.
So you mean the motherboard will bottleneck my CPU?

mgallo848

Commendable

I know what you're saying but you should not believe everything you read. Just because they've used it as a sales gimmick doesn't make it true.

If I buy an 8 core processor I expect all 8 cores to work....at the stock speeds....which that board cannot do. Having to force an 8 core to only use 6 cores at even lower than stock speeds does not make it "supported". They may as well add the FX 9590 to that list while they're at it.

bignastyid

Titan
I know what you're saying but you should not believe everything you read. Just because they've used it as a sales gimmick doesn't make it true.

If I buy an 8 core processor I expect all 8 cores to work....at the stock speeds....which that board cannot do. Having to force an 8 core to only use 6 cores at even lower than stock speeds does not make it "supported". They may as well add the FX 9590 to that list while they're at it.
Did you even read all of my post? Because going by your response it doesn't sound like you did.

mgallo848

Commendable
No I did read it. I just disagree with you that it is supported. I know you said that you're aware of the issues that combo has and yes it is true but just because someone at Gigabyte types it in a website doesn't make it true.

Please don't take my posts as an argument with you. It isn't my intentions. I'm just very adamant about this particular combo as I have spent countless of wasted hours on multiple 8320/GA-78lmt setups trying to get them o not crash at the stock speeds.

mgallo848

Commendable
Agree to disagree.

I don't believe everything I read from a vendor's website especially when I've had first-hand experience with multiple combos of this exact setup. My advice is based on experience not "some people made it work for a while" heresay.

Good luck

Reactions: NoMercyBeAst
Solution

NoMercyBeAst

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Agree to disagree.

Good luck
I am buying ryzen 1600 and asrock pro4 x370. Thx for your advice, you saved me.

Reactions: Rogue Leader