Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H mobo won't post

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I’m building a computer for my sister (photoshop-friendly, very low budget), and am having trouble getting the mobo to post. I’ve built several computers before, and often make mistakes that prevent posting – but this time I am stumped and can’t tell if it’s my error or a hardware malfunction.

Parts:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (unformatted)
A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (was listed as approved)
Rosewill RV430-2-FRB-S 430W ATX 12V Ver.2.01 Power Supply
Antec Solution SLK1650B ATX Mini Tower Computer Case
IDE DVD drive
Floppy drive (not connected yet)
PS2 Keyboard
USB Mouse

Symptoms:

All fans work. HD spins (I can feel it). No beeps. No lights on mobo (not sure there are any). No active lights on front panel. No video (using onboard).

What I’ve tried:

1. Removing/unplugging things like mouse, front panel hdd led, front panel usb, one memory stick, DVD drive
2. Tried both memory sticks, then one at a time, then one in different slots.
3. Tried taking out CMOS battery & replacing, shorting CMOS pins, swapping CMOS batteries
4. Am using stock heatsink – definitely had thermal paste, and made sure I clamped correctly
5. Made sure all power plugs were used (like CPU power, etc)
6. Tried using different power plugs for devices, and tried using different SATA ports for HD (as well as different cords)

Could the PSU too weak (and if it were would the fans still work)? (Have not tried replacing this, but would really love not to have to...)
How can I tell if it’s a bad motherboard?

Thanks for the help. mcaren

There's a link to a troubleshooting checklist in my signature. You've already performed a few of the steps, but let us know how it goes after you've performed ALL the steps in the checklist. If you get to the end of the numbered steps and it still doesn't work, I would continue on to the breadboarding suggestion to rule out a short.

Do you have a system speaker installed? If not, you should get one. If you do have a system speaker, what happens if you try to post with no RAM installed? The motherboard should beep like crazy.

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thank you shortstuff_mt. I'll give your checklist a try. I do have a system speaker, and it appears to be plugged in correctly (I was worried that the front panel connections might be incorrect, but I checked the diagram and it looks right. ) I'll try posting with no ram and see what happens...

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
No luck. No beeps w/o memory.

Actually (Shortstuff_mt) -- your checklist was one that I'd read before posting -- and had tried everything (I think) except breadboarding. I counted screws, counted standoffs, and used a static bracelet. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

One weirdness (at least to me -- maybe it's normal) -- I had originally tried turning the front panel speaker plug the other way in case I'd gotten the +/- mixed up with no difference. I tried doing this to the power switch and the the front panel works with the plugs in either direction -- should it?

Thanks. mcaren

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Uh oh.

I did the breadboard thing. Connected main motherboard power & CPU power. Connected front panel power & speaker -- no beeps.

Was worried that maybe my case front panel was defective, so then tried front panel plugs from another case. Still no sound.

CPU fan works.

Bad motherboard?

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I have a question about bios -- I understand that some people have had to flash the bios of this motherboard to get it to recognize an AMD Phenom II x6 CPU. If this is the case, is it possible that incompatibility is causing the motherboard not to post? (And, if it were the problem, should I still be hearing a beep? -- all I get are fans running...).
Thanks.

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Thanks for that O1die. Wow. Absolutely ridiculous. (Good tip tho -- was wondering how in the heck I was supposed to flash the bios when the darned thing wouldn't post...)

I just sent in the motherboard today. A shame really -- was supposed to be a birthday gift for my sister -- now will be very very late...

Thanks to all for your responses. Woudl close this thread if I knew how...